Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clicking sound during let-down?

Default Clicking sound during let-down?

Hello!!
    So something I've always noticed but keep forgetting to ask.
    My LO makes a clicking sound when she feeds but only during let down and the long open sucks that follow, once she goes back to the quick sucks the clicking goes away. Her latch is great - I've never had sore nipples apart from the first two weeks. I don't see her breaking the seal... any other reasons?
    Just curious really if anyone else has this. The LLL woman that came to my house noticed it but she wasn't sure why she was doing it.

Default Re: Clicking sound during let-down?

Do you have an over active letdown? If so, the click is from her trying to cope with the flow. That is all.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When she pulls off during let down its not spraying everywhere so I assume I haven't?

oald has many signs of which clicking is one and spraying is one. oald can be happening without either.

My youngest clicked like mad and I did have oald. However, nothing else about it bothered him (once we figured out a good nursing position) so I never worried about it. It is also something that can happen when there is a poor latch/tongue tie but that would also have many other much more alarming signs. Some kids are just noisy when they eat and it does not mean anything. I see clicking as more of a clue of what is wrong when there are breastfeedign issues rather than a sign anything is wrong. I would file this under "nothing to worry about."

yeah I had actually filed it there myself, but realized that maybe I should ask just in case - but glad to hear it!
    I did think of tongue tie but she's gaining and happy and I'm sure they check for that at birth.
    Funny the sounds they make when they feed x

My son does this too (he's 7 weeks). Our lactation consultant said he's controlling the flow too!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12