Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to work 10m.

Default Going back to work 10m.

I am going to be going back to work soon Baby will be aprox 10.5m. I am trying to figure if I should pump or not. I can probably come home for lunch most days. He is eating food, but does not take a bottle. He hasn't figured how to drink water yet either.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Going back to work 10m.

how many times per day will he be able to nurse
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

How many hours a day will you be gone?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

At 10.5 months I would probably go straight to a cup.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    how many times per day will he be able to nurse
    Morning, lunch time (approx 4.5 hrs after I leave), after work (another 4.5h) then as much as wanted during the evening and night time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    How many hours a day will you be gone?
    I haven't accepted the offer yet, but the=
    place is 15min from my house. So I am guessing about 8 hours total I will be away, but I am going to come home at lunch so that's 4 hours and 4 hours. I might have to work late sometimes. I am thinking of keeping the pump in the car or something in case I need it.

I just don't know if I should plan on pumping...Ask if they have space for me to pump, etc.

Sorry John

is grabbing at the computer and messed something up. I am not retyping lol
    Proud mom of 2:

at 10.5 months, my baby was nursing more than every four hours. but you might be able to stretch it if he'll take solids in the meantime nurse right before, lunch, right after. the other question is whether your body will be able to last four hours. you might be more comfortable pumping once in the morning and once in the afternoon, then you'd have some to give him. you won't have to do this for very long - 6 weeks - and whether he'll be ok and whether your supply/engorgement will be ok depends a lot on you individually, i think.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

He probably nurses every 3-4 hours, that's why I am thinking he might be ok.. He's a lot different than #1 who nursed like every hour. I am not even sure that he would take the milk I pump though either.
    Proud mom of 2:

yeah, especially if he nurses on demand all the rest of the time (evenings, nights, weekends) then sounds like you might be able to get away without pumping. you can always try it out - you can try different things even in the 6 weeks til he's 1. good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

That's what I was thinking/hoping Auderey...I mean, if he was 12 months then I would only pump for comfort. 6 weeks isn't that long of a difference....OMG. Is he really going to be 1 in 6 weeks!!!???!!! Time flew by!
    Proud mom of 2:

Thomas was about his age when I stopped pumping, and we were doing exactly what you mentioned in terms of nursing/coming home for lunch/etc. If Thomas really needed to nurse during my four-hour blocks at work, his dad would bring him to my office. If you try it, and see that he needs it, is that an option for you?