Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full-time nursing.. when should i start pumping??

Default full-time nursing.. when should i start pumping??

Hello ladies!!

Thanks to you guys I have been successfully full-time nursing and no pumping for 2wks!!

I couldn't have done this without you guys. This hasn't been an easy journey.

My baby is 6 weeks old and she has been nursing like a natural born champ!! Im so proud of her and the progress that has made. She no longer wants a paci and she lovesto nurse from me!! She has been having great outputs and her poopies have slowed down to maybe 3-4 a day versus her 6-8 a day. Her wets are 5-6 a day....Here is my question:

She has been full time nursing and I haven't had a chance to really pump. I will be a SAHM so I have more time to dedicate to full-time nursing. I wanted to have a small stash for being able to have some "me" time or "Daddy" time When can I pump when my child nurses quite often? If I pump after she eats, it could build up my milk supply to more than she eats (I guess)

Help me out ladies!

Wife.Mother.Sister.Friend.ChildoftheKing. I am a mother to a bubbly preteen (12) and a very active newborn (4-24-12)

Thank you ladies in advance for your support. I couldnt do it without you!!

I and bottle fed (exclusively) until 5-28-12 when my sweet baby started back (exclusively) It has not been an easy road at all. I
    But now.... My sweet pea LOVES my BOOBIES!!!

Default Re: full-time nursing.. when should i start pumping??

it sounds like you just need the occasional bottle, so just try to fit one or two pumps in so you have a bottle or two in the freezer. then when you're away, you'll pump to replace that for next time.

if you're thinking something a little more sustained, like you want a night away every week or something, then you might want to think about a little bit more sustained schedule, like at nap time.

lots of moms find it easiest to pump early in the morning, when their supply is highest (mine never was - i got the most in the afternoons), or at nap time, or late at night after baby goes to sleep.

but really - don't pump until/unless you have to! (as you know).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

ohhh ok!

I wasn't sure if pumping to much would increase my milk supply to the point that I would get engorged or something. So THANKS! Im writing this down in my head. I can just pump anytime! I was thinking I had to pump at a certain time. I have such a cookie monster..LOL she loves to eat! LOL
    Wife.Mother.Sister.Friend.ChildoftheKing. I am a mother to a bubbly preteen (12) and a very active newborn (4-24-12)

Thank you ladies in advance for your support. I couldnt do it without you!!

I and bottle fed (exclusively) until 5-28-12 when my sweet baby started back (exclusively) It has not been an easy road at all. I
    But now.... My sweet pea LOVES my BOOBIES!!!

Pumping too much can cause an oversupply. You should pump only 1-2x a day and pick a particular time and try to pump close to the same time every day. Pumping at random times is more likely to drive a problematic oversupply. You might not get a huge amount of milk at first, but eventually your milk production will bump up at those pumping times. Give it some time. Unless you are going back to a full time job, you don't need a lot of milk.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I had to return to work full time and I didn't pump at 6 weeks. At this point please don't rock the boat. Just keep EBF for a few more weeks. Then you can pump while baby sleeps to have maybe 2 bottles. Remember during any me time you still have to pump.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

100% with the above. The longer you can hold off pumping, the better off you will be. Engorgement is one of the lesser horrors of oversupply. I pumped too early on and ended up miserable for 3 months. Proceed with caution.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

i would hold off on pumping as long as possible, or ideally never.

i'm a sahm too and i've gone out for me time and dh has had his daddy time and i've never had to pump. of course it gets easier once solids are in the picture. but i realize that's not for everyone, especially if you're going on overnights for example. just offering the opinion that you don't have to start pumping at all if you don't want to.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

yes and unless you anticipate regular separations or a very long (more than 6-8 hours say) separation, there is likely no need to pump until you are actually planning an outing. It's not like you need to leave tons of milk to go out for dinner and a movie. Just enough for one or two feedings. Since you cleary have established an appropriate supply, most likely you will be able to pump (or hand express) enough for one or two feedings in the immediate days before the planned outing. If you are really concerned, you could do a test run or two to make sure your pump is properly functioning ahead of time. And while it is great to take some me time and time alone with the new Dad, remember your baby will never be as portable and bring along-able, even to "adult" places like nice restaurants and movies- as she is now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi
    100% with the above. The longer you can hold off pumping, the better off you will be. Engorgement is one of the lesser horrors of oversupply. I pumped too early on and ended up miserable for 3 months. Proceed with caution.
    Me too. I developed oversupply, which led to plugged ducts, which led to Mastitis in one breast, which turned into an Abcess - despite my aggressive pumping day and night! I'm back to EB (and only pumping if I am absolutely sure I cannot make it back to the baby within 4 hours), and things have been better. The pain is really terrible. Pumping had turned an enjoyable experience into a living nightmare for me. I suggest trying to hold of as long as you possibly can.

I have about 2-3 bottles of breastmilk in the refridgerator for emergencies and in case of a uber emergencies, I also have FREE forumula samples I received from Enfamil/Similac and I also have the read-to-feed formula the hospital sent me home with. The formula doesn't expire until next year, so it's great to have that as a back-up FOR the back-up

I pump less then 2 times a day (usually when I am at work and cannot be near my daughter) and that is enough to start a "storage". You can try pumping ONCE a day, right after a feeding to drain the breast. Don't overdo it though! Pumping multiple times a day PLUS feeding, will lead to trouble

And Daddy time? Pffft! Just tell Daddy to sit next to you while you are breastfeeding. That lucky thang!!
    Last edited by @llli*LaurenC; June 8th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Proud of Baby