Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not taking in liquids after removal of bottle!

Default Not taking in liquids after removal of bottle!

Hello all,
    My little munchie man just turned one and we are still nursing. He eats solids extremely well, and is nursing slightly less often. In the last two weeks I have stopped sending a bottle to the sitters and he is only getting a bottle before bed at home. I work 2 or 3 days a week for 10-12 hour shifts. My problem is that he is not really drinking much out of his sippy cups when I am away. He drinks wonderfully out of it for me when I am home with him- and he will drink breastmilk out of a sippy at the sitters, but I am only pumping once a day now, so he is only going to the sitters with maybe 4 ounces of breastmilk and water or other milk for the rest. Some days, he only drinks the breast milk and tiny bits of water, some days he will have maybe another 4 ounces of other liquids. Should I be concerned, or is he just figuring out life without the bottle? Today, all he really had was the one bottle of EBM, and maybe 2-3 ounces of water/milk in a 12 hour period. He may be reacting to sippy cup only, or to me sending less EBM, but wither way, I am not sure if it is an issue or not! He still has wet diapers, seems healthy and happy, and got an okay 1-year checkup at the doctor. Just feeling unsure....

Default Re: Not taking in liquids after removal of bottle!

Is he nursing at night when you are home? Does he eat other solids? He can get fluids from things like fruits and vegetables aswell.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

He nurses once in the morning. On my short days he nurses a couple times when I get home, on long days, he is asleep when I get home, so he just nurses once and takes one bottle. He does eat plenty of fruit, though..... Just wondering about actual liquid intake.

Are you saying that he sleeps through the night? If he's not nursing overnight, and you only nurse him once that day and he only gets one four ounce bottle, that would worry me about my child. Have you had the sitter try a different kind of cup? Maybe a straw cup? I wonder if he gets too busy over there...
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He does sleep through the night for the most part- most of the time he does wake up to nurse once about two hours before morning, then again when he wakes up. I talked with the sitter a couple of days ago and she said that he is taking in about 6-8 ounces of water/milk during the day and then he gets a bottle before bed- so it sounds like he is getting 10-12 ounces still when I am gone, so it seems like maybe I was just being stressed out for nothing! Thank you for the posts, and thoughts- and we'll keep trucking along until he changes his routine again!!