Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to this.

Default New to this.

I return to work in 2 weeks (baby girl will be 12 weeks). I currently pump once a day after her 2 am feeding (because it's the only time she sleeps after eating and I can since I don't have help). I het 5 oz a session combined. Is that enough for now or should I increase the number of sessions, and do I have to continue once I'm at work? I work 3 12 hr shifts a week and plan to pump 3x day at work. Thanks!

Default Re: New to this.

You just need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour you will be away for the first day or two. After that, you will pump the next day's milk while at work. So you don't need much really.

Check for lipase before storing milk. Nothing is more stressful than finding your LO won't take the milk you have been carefully saving up for days or weeks.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you're getting 5 oz pumping while also nursing all day, you probably will do fine when you start back to work. I was only getting about 2.5-3 oz per session before I started back to work, which translated to about 4-5 oz per pumping when I was away from him at work. If you are working 12 hour shifts, three times may not quite be enough (you may get plenty in three sessions to feed LO but if you're waiting that long between sessions then you may start to have supply issues after a little while). Pumping about every three hours seems optimal, and is the schedule everyone here is on (there are at least five of us using the health office downstairs and a few more using the restroom lounges, hehe)

Pumping 3 times is going to be difficult. Ugh. I really want to do this for atleast a year. I'm a nurse on a very busy floor and some days don't ha e time to pee much less pump. :/

Post in the working forum. We have a LOT of nurse moms, and they have all made it work somehow
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!