Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New meds

Default New meds

I am STILL breastfeeding my 2 1/2 year old. Just recently had to start on some new meds. The doctor said I should wean. Has anyone else been encouraged to wean based on meds. I'm almost done with nursing, I'm getting a little tired of it, but I don't know how to wean the before bed feeding....
    and working full-time at home

Default Re: New meds

Before you take the doc's advice, contact the Infant Risk center for a definitive answer on the meds you're going to take. http://www.infantrisk.com/. Many docs are over conservative about medications and advise weaning or pump-and-dump when it is not really necessary.

You can also post the name of the med here, and see if someone has experience with it.

How often are you nursing at this point, and what is your weaning goal? Would you like to be done soon, or are you open to having the nursing relationship fade slowly?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A lot of doctors are quick to offer the wean or pump and dump advice even though they don't have an official answer. The infantrisk website that mommal posted is a great resource. Also, most pharmacists have the most recent copy of Medication and Mothers Milk by Dr Thomas Hale and are able to give up to date info on the medication you have been prescribed. Also, sometimes there are alternative meds that do the job just as well but are safer for nursing.

Hope this helps
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'm on Neurontin, Ativan prn, and getting ready to start Zoloft. I don't necessarily want to completely quit nursing, but I'd DEFINITELY like to be done by the time he turns 3, in October. Also, he only nurses right when i get home from work and before going to sleep. The bedtime nursing is what really wears on me. The sooner we can be done with that part of the routine, the better.
    and working full-time at home