Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The new mommy has another question :)

Default The new mommy has another question :)

My LO went from eating for about an hour to 25 min tops today. Since about 2am. She's sleeping almost the entire time. My hubby gave her a paci while I was in the shower yesterday, I bawled! But she was asleep and so content I couldn't be the jealous mommy and rip it out of her sweet little mouth. Well I gave it to her again this morning about 3 and she slept until 6:30, that's probably the longest stretch at night but now she's only eating for 25 min and going back to sleep, no paci. She's only had it 3 times since her first time. Is she slowing down for a growth spurt or what? Should I take advantage of this time and pump? My supply is plentiful so I'm nervous for this abrupt slow down. I'm guessing it's normal, I shouldn't worry, because her diapers are good, and she seems very content. A happy baby, no tears or fussing. She's even laughing in her sleep. This new feeding schedule is okay? Should I pump while I have the chance? Or to keep up my supply? Thanks ladies

Default Re: The new mommy has another question :)

It is normal for nursing sessions to shorten and for time between them to lengthen as baby gets older and better at nursing. This progression is seldom completely linear btw.

A pacifier can cause issues if baby is pacifying on the paci through a time they would normally wake and want to nurse. This happens because SUCKING gives baby the content feeling that helps them sleep even if they got no nutrition. This does not mean don't use a paci when needed (so mom can finish a shower would be a good time for a paci imo) but just to be aware of how much paci use is going on.

Personally if my baby was sleeping I would consider that a great time to sleep myself, not pump, as tomorrow baby may be super demanding. If you need to pump for a stash in anticipation of going back to work, then sure of course you can pump, but be careful about adding too much pumping all at once. Otherwise, if you are feeling full, I would suggest picking baby up and seeing if baby will nurse instead. Babies can nurse in their sleep.

Default Re: The new mommy has another question :)

All the sleeping is probley a growth spurt. You can pump if you want but you'll most likely be fine if you don't. They become better at sucking and will eventually get more out in a shorter amout of time as they get older. As for the pacifier, I gave my daughter on around 4 weeks but then weaned her at 5 1/2 months. The longer they have them the harder it is to get rid of them most the time. Although some wean themselves from the pacifier. Sounds like you are doing great!