Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 month wellness check... Is pedi advice accurate you think?

Default 2 month wellness check... Is pedi advice accurate you think?

So lovely ladies,
    2 month check today, everythings going great, she weighs 11Ibs.10oz - she was 6 at birth so glad she's gaining.
    I discussed with pedi about how I can't tell when she is hungry anymore as she gives me the hunger signs all the time, it's gotten to the point where if I even tip her slightly into cradle hold she'll burst into tears - so I'm really confused.
    The pedi told me to wait till she's crying and then feed her - her reasoning was that because i just offer her the breast all the time she doesn't need to give me cues - but then I offer it to her when she's not hungry and she gets really upset... which in turn makes me upset that I can't read her.
    Do you think that that is good advice?
    I feel a bit awkward as I know that crying means she's close to starving and I don't want that.
    She's also going a couple of hours of not peeing - is this ok? Should she be peeing sll the time?
    I feel like Im losing my grip a little bit - going to a LLL meeting tomorrow!!

Default Re: 2 month wellness check... Is pedi advice accurate you th

NO. You should not wait until she's crying. If you offer to feed and she doesn't want to - then just offer again next time. It's ok for her to hold her pee a little longer.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've come to the conclusion that pediatricians know nothing about breast feeding!!

Yeah, I would just ignore this advice. I think it's great (and convenient!) to offer the breast every time you think baby might be giving hunger cues. If baby's not hungry, she won't take the breast. Done and done.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Do you think I"m teaching her to not 'like' the breast though offering it to her and her crying?
    she seems to be refusing my right breast and I need to find creative ways to get her to attach .. .either that I'm just really not clued in at all and doing it wrong!

Sometimes my daughter is smacking her lips or has her entire fist in her mouth, but when I offer a breast, she pulls away and cries. (My daughter is 3 1/2 month old). I learn that sometimes the baby is just being fussy and doesn't want the breast yet (maybe she just isn't hungry enough!). You can always play with her for about 10 minutes, then try again... or try putting her down in her crib until she starts fussing/showing obvious signs of hunger. This happened only recently too - we breastfed with no issues up until she started putting her fists in her mouth. Now I can't tell if she's just playing with her own fingers or if she's really hungry... so the best way is to just keep trying. If she bursts into tears, I would immediately sit her in my lap and start playing with her... making funny faces or walking around until she calms down.

It's very difficult to breastfeed when the baby is crying REALLY hard... so I don't know why your peditrician said that
    Proud of Baby

She just may not be hungry at the time you offer. I do not agree to let her cry to feed her, this is just wrong. Keep doing what you are doing. They become better at sucking and will get more out eventually. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    Do you think I"m teaching her to not 'like' the breast though offering it to her and her crying?
    No. If I offered you a cookie every time I thought you wanted one, would you start hating cookies, even if some of the time you weren't in the mood for one? Of course not! It's the same with the breast.

I know the crying and refusal is frustrating and upsetting. Just remember that it is also temporary. Right now your baby is so little that the only way she can communicate is to cry. But her vocabulary of body language and vocalizations (not necessarily words, but just sounds) is improving every day, and eventually she will be able to refuse a nursing opportunity without it turning into armeggedon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    eventually she will be able to refuse a nursing opportunity without it turning into armeggedon.

This made me laugh so hard I woke her up!
    x
    That's exactly what it feels like ha ha

Mommal, of course, is right on.

You can offer to nurse all the time, at even the tiniest whimper. If she wants to nurse she will, if she doesn't she won't. All you are teaching your baby is that your milk is available to her. Even if she screams and cries, that is the only message you are sending and it is a very positive message.

My baby would scream, arch his back, push away from me with all his might (even when he was hungry sometimes) and I continued to offer to nurse (without pressuring him of course) because that's just what you do. After he grew a little he stopped crying at the breast altogether and became a very happy little nursling. In fact, for the past few weeks all this kid wants to do is nurse. Literally. He'll nurse then unlatch then immediately sign for more milk. So yeah, crying at the breast as a newborn definitely did not have any negative impacts later on with this one.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).