Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water: to give or not to give?

Default Water: to give or not to give?

To my knowledge, it is not necessary to give water to a breastfed baby. I've read that it is counterproductive to his natural demand (and hence my supply). However everyone is telling me to! Parents (oh you should let him flush out the toxins in his body!), relatives (oh poor boy is having hiccups, give him water!), and even my pedi, who says I should let him start getting used to the taste of water, if not he wouldn't want to drink water in future! Is this even true?
    So far I've insisted not to give him water but I'm getting sick of those suggestions repeatedly!
    What do you do ladies? Do you give him water? If so, when did you start?
    My Lo is 12 weeks.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Water: to give or not to give?

lol I have to laugh about what your pedi said.... my son LOVES water, and we didn't give him water until maybe 6 or 8 months. As for what I did... if my LO was thristy, I let him nurse. There is absolutely no need to give your LO water. Your breastmilk would do a better job of flushing toxins from his body than any other liquid. And really.. how many toxins do you think you need to be concerned with?? My son also had the hiccups constantly, and we never gave water for it...just nursed. I know it wears on you to constantly hear people "give advice" that is contrary to what you believe. When I received those type of comments I would always reply that my baby needed nothing other than breastmilk at this point and would receive nothing else. Maybe with your parents you can print out some info for them, even your pedi.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

You are absolutely right - it messes with supply/demand

Babies have very tiny tummies so if there is an ounce of water in there, they wont nurse as much. Also, it's totally unnecessary, he gets everything he needs from your breastmilk. Plus, water has no calories, so it fills up their tummies and provides no nutrients (and you wouldn't want his weight gain to stall).

It's not recommended to introduce water before 4 months, and even at that point it's not necessary. Most babies start drinking a little water (2 ounces or less a day) between 6 and 8 months (usually when they are eating solids), although some babies don't taste water until after 10 months or so.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

we just started water really in the last few weeks and DS seems to relish it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    we just started water really in the last few weeks and DS seems to relish it.
    How old is your son?

a year today
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

ita with the pps. just wanted to say that I literally spit out my morning tea laughing at your pedi. wow just wow.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My son started playing with a sippy cup (I wouldn't call it "drinking" LOL) with water in it around 7 months-ish. He's five now, and water is his favorite thing to drink.

at you ped. Giving water to such a young baby can be dangerous not only for supply and demand reasons, but because it also flushes sodium from their systems. Breast milk has the perfect balance of water and essential nutrients. Nothing else should be given before 6 months or later.

We started giving water in a sippy cup to my son around 7 months, but he never drank more than an ounce until well after a year. Now he loves it, gulping his water and saying "mmmmm".
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

NO NO NO. There is RESEARCH saying water is bad for babies under 12 months. I posted a link somewhere here...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!