Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Angry baby!

Default Angry baby!

My ds will be 7 weeks tomorrow. He has plenty of wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight like a champ. I'm getting a bit frustrated because lately it seems like every time he's finished with one side - he falls asleep or un-latches himself - he gets really mad! Crying, grunting, rooting around mad. I put him back on and he'll suck for a little, but it mainly turns into comfort nursing. Or he squirms around, latching and un-latching. It's mainly in the afternoon, but sometimes it happens at night, after I feed him he's asleep, eyes closed, and still fussing. He refuses a pacifier (which really doesn't make me mad at all!), but he's started to find his little fist and suck on that. My question is, any suggestions to get him to calm down? I don't mind the comfort nursing but the squirming is uncomfortable! Sometimes I wish he'd take the paci, even just for a few seconds, to calm down.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Default Re: Angry baby!

So he is fussing after nursing-when he is asleep? Maybe he is having some digestion issues. It may help to hold him upright after nursing, like leaning on your shoulder or chest but with his head above his tummy.

but it mainly turns into comfort nursing.
    If he latches and is comfortable at the breast, that is fine. Comfort nursing is normal and fine. Are you saying he is comfort nursing and still squirmy? My youngest did this because I had oald. Maybe change up nursing position, again, so he is more "upright" on you. I hope this makes sense...

He may need to burp. DD3 will nurse like mad, then fight it. It's normally resolved by getting a good burp out of her.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I don't think it's my letdown...when he's squirming like that it's always awhile after he's started. And if I take him off, nothing is spraying. I do have a strong letdown at night and early in the morning bc he sleeps longer, so my breasts end up really full. When he's squirmy it's like he's sucking and kicking at the same time. I'll try burping!

I'm wondering more about how to handle him crying after he's finished. Sometimes I'm fine with letting him comfort nurse, but sometimes it's not convenient, like if we're out somewhere. Maybe he gets comfortable and then startles himself when he falls off... He's a little weirdo, but I love him :-)
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Try burping and put him back to the breast. He may just not be finished yet. The more relaxed nursing after the initial frenzy may not just be comfort nursing. He may genuinely still be hungry. He's only 7 weeks, at the breast is best. Inconvenience aside, if he's still actively nursing, he needs to at this age.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and