Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lopsided supply, different boob sizes getting embarrassing

Default Lopsided supply, different boob sizes getting embarrassing

Hi all!
    DS is just over 9 months now. I've always had more milk on one side, but now that DS is eating solids, nursing less often during the day, and sleeping longer at night, it seems the "slow" side is producing less and less, while the "fast" side is keeping up production for both. And it's getting noticeable!!! Swimsuit season is here and I have to say it's a pretty silly sight when I get into a bikini. My mother even noticed it yesterday while I was fully clothed. Even before that, I have found myself switching tops when it's really noticeable. One day I wore a regular bra (not nursing) with underwire and actually had to stuff TP in the small side so the cup wouldn't cave in!!!

I usually pump first thing in the morning just enough for DS' cereal. At that hour, the slow side gives about 1/3 of what the fast side does.
    I just put DS down for a nap... he nursed on the fast side but wasn't interested in the slow side. So I thought I'd pump that side only, just to keep things alive... and it seems the "slow" side could actually be the DRY side!! Drips and drabs are all I got after almost 10 minutes of pumping.

So here are my Qs:
    Can the one side be drying up, except for first thing in the morning?
    Is it too late in the game to build it back up?
    WILL MY BOOBS EVER BE THE SAME SIZE AGAIN?

I always offer the slow side but usually he's not interested. And now I see why!

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thank you ladies!!

Default Re: Lopsided supply, different boob sizes getting embarrassi

I think that if you tried pumping more often on the slow side it might help to fill it up again. Or offering the slow side in place of the other side for a few feedings when he is really wanting to nurse. I know what you mean though, I nurse probley 80% on my left side and while I have a very slight lopsidedness it's not as drastic as yours sounds. I believe your boobs will return to their normal symetrical size if you even it out the nursing and pumping and or when you wean. And as for being embarrassed, those who matter won't mind, and those who mind won't matter.

Thanks newmom! Especially for the last sentence - very wise words! It's just me being self-conscious.

I'm not ready to wean just yet, but I'm hoping you are right and that they go back to their respective pre-baby sizes once I am done BF! (I hear everyone is slightly asymmetrical!)

mine are lopsided. somedays it looks worse than others! and actually they were lopsided to begin with, it just got more pronounced now that there is a preferred side (faster, stronger letdown on rightie).

i would keep trying with the smaller boob, maybe when he's sleepy he'd be more likely to take it? i used to wait until after she'd fall asleep and then sneak it in i think if you nurse on that smaller side more you can have more milk in it most of the time to keep it inflated. so in the mornings they look less lopsided but by evening..
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Haha thanks Christine!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lolaminis View Post
    I'm not ready to wean just yet, but I'm hoping you are right and that they go back to their respective pre-baby sizes once I am done BF!
    While my breasts are still a little larger than before I got pregnant (my breasts were small to the point that I never wore a bra and I'm not sure that they will ever be quite that small again), they have gotten down to a pretty reasonable size and I haven't even begun to even think about weaning. My breasts started shrinking down significantly when my son was around 15 months. At times I wondered about my milk supply, but I was pumping just fine until a few weeks ago and I can hear my son gulping as he nurses - so the milk is obviously there.

The mechanics of toddler nursing and milk production after a year are a little different than they are prior to a year. Toddlers tend to nurse less and milk composition changes to become more condensed in nutrients. I don't know how true this is for everyone, but I personally have seen my breasts become much more pre-pregnancy like over the last few months even though my son often nurses 8-10x a day. I think it is likely due to the changes in nursing patterns and milk production that occur after a year.

My point is that you don't necessarily need to wean in order for your breasts to return to smaller, more symmetrical sizes. Just give it some time. I really missed my flat chest for a long time, but I'm really happy with how my breasts look right now. I feel like I'm pretty close to my normal.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Oh right, and I was pretty lopsided too for awhile. I just nursed more often on the smaller side (or started him off on that side if he was nursing on both breasts) than I did on the larger side. No one is ever perfectly symmetrical, but that got me back to "close enough". My baby didn't like the smaller side as much, so it took a lot of repositioning and relatching for a few weeks to get him more comfortable on that side.

Here's some info on dealing with lopsidedness if you are interested.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks, phi!!! I have been consistently offering the small side first and pumping only that side for cereal, and it seems to have made a difference. Still not perfectly symmetrical =) but I'm not going to expect that!