Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Baby (Or lack there of) help!

Default Sleeping Baby (Or lack there of) help!

I created a post a week or two ago about my son having some attachment issues. We're still going through this phase but I am looking for some new advice.

We had a pretty good schedule down (with the exception of the last week or so). He would take great naps during the day (1.5 to 2 hours each time) and then get to bed by 7:30 and stay asleep for a good 6 hours. Now.... he's barely sleeping at all. His naps during the day are at max 30 minutes. And now, he will only fall asleep if he's being nursed. I'll lay him down in his crib after he's nursed and had a little bit of time to sleep. Ten minutes later (sometimes 20 if I'm lucky) he starts crying / pouting and once to nurse again. Same thing, he'll eat, fall asleep, I put him back in his crib and 20 minutes later.... This has been going on for a few days now. I know he's tired because he's yawning, rubbing his eyes, more fussy than normal but he just won't stay asleep. Last night the longest stretch was maybe two hours. And that was only once or twice. Otherwise it was 45 minutes or less.

Nothing will soothe him back to sleep unless he's nursing. And even sometimes he'll be in a pretty deep sleep (after he's done nursing I'll let him lay with me for a good 10 minutes or so) and as soon as I lay him down he's wide awake. He's showing the same behavior he had when he was a newbie. My husband used to have luck soothing him with a paci and rubbing his cheeks / forehead and now that doesn't even work. All he wants is my boob!

Any advice? This mommy has sore nipples (from constantly nursing, not because of a bad latch) and is very tired!

Oh I should mention we co slept this morning after side nursing but even then he only slept an hour until he started flailing his arms around and woke himself up. Side nursing isn't really easy for us either. I have to stay awake otherwise he'll just shove his head down and put his nose right into my boob. So I'm constantly having to move or re adjust so he can breathe.

Default Re: Sleeping Baby (Or lack there of) help!

How old is he? Have you thought about putting a mattress down on the floor in his room and not worrying about the crib transfer? Also, he'll move his head so he can breathe. And weirdly enough, they seem to breathe just fine in that position - both my girls have done that - both still breathing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How old is your baby?

It sounds like it could be teething. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen may get you a little extra sleep, but constant nursing is retry much the norm during teething. That said, there are lots of reasons why this could be happening. Sleep patterns are constantly changing throughout infancy.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

He is 3.5 months

There seems to be something that happens around 4 months where they start waking up more often. It's like they have realized that they are alone or something. Both my girls did that. My 17 month old generally sleeps 3ish hours for her first stretch and then I join her and cosleep with her the rest of the night. I think she wakes every 90 minutes to 2 hours, but I'm not really sure, since I don't really wake up. I just latch her on when she stirs.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That was my thought too.

My son's 4th month was pretty miserable for us all. He was becoming much more alert, and he just didn't quite know what to do with himself so he cried and I nursed him. all. the. time. All I can suggest is cosleep and nap together so that you can get some sleep too. The sleep did get a little better at 5 months for us, and he was much happier in general after getting through the 4th month.

My ds3 was attached to me also. If he wasn't nursing he needed to be held.
    What saved my sanity was the ring sling and the futon on the floor so we could safely co-sleep.
    BTW, he graduated from college last week, so there is an end in sight. He won't be attached to you forever.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I too co-sleep and was nervous about the side laying nursing at night at first but now it's like second nature. They get to eat while you get to sleep. I co-sleep because my daughter would do the same thing sleep for 15-30 min in her crib(if she didn't wake up the moment I put her down) and wake back up. I think the longest she ever slept in her crib was 2hrs. With her it's more of me being close by. But at 8 months now that is about the only time I can get her to nurse is overnight. She goes down between 7:30pm and 9:00pm and we sleep until about 8:30am usually. You are doing great, it may just be a sleep phase that passes. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.

How do ya'll co sleep at night if you put your LO to bed say around 7:30? We usually start bath time around 7/7:30 but I'm definitely not ready to go to bed by then.

I start my son out in his crib when he first goes down for the night. Then I bring him to bed with me when he wakes up.