Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water: to give or not to give?

Default Re: Water: to give or not to give?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    . when i go out to restaurants with elena I am always asked "and what should we get for her..milk? juice?" and when I just say, water they always look confused. What's wrong with water!?!
    There's no profit margin on tap water. Therefore you should order your kid a giant tub of high-fructose corn syrup.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    There's no profit margin on tap water. Therefore you should order your kid a giant tub of high-fructose corn syrup.
    well yea! but its clear a kid getting water is some kind of rarity. like a unicorn sat down to eat or something. and if i tell them i dont want it in a styrofoam lidded cup with a straw they really look disturbed. who is this freak mother.. (it's b/c the little monster takes bites out of the styrofoam cup ) sorry for the hijack!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    well yea! but its clear a kid getting water is some kind of rarity. like a unicorn sat down to eat or something. and if i tell them i dont want it in a styrofoam lidded cup with a straw they really look disturbed. who is this freak mother.. (it's b/c the little monster takes bites out of the styrofoam cup ) sorry for the hijack!
    DS1 would squeeze the cup until it imploded, leaking whatever was in the cup everywhere.

Kids drink what you give them. I gave DD juice when she was little and she loved it. I realized with DS1 that there was no need for juice and he (and DD) love water. DS2 didn't get water until after 6 months and he happily drinks it.

I was 21 before I drank beer and yet I am happily drinking it right now, which is crazy according to your ped's way of thinking.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    I was 21 before I drank beer and yet I am happily drinking it right now, which is crazy according to your ped's way of thinking.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Your ped's advice on water is right up there with the "if you don't start them on rice cereal at 4 months they won't learn to eat". I bet a lot of moms have heard that one, too.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going against the whole world when i'm just trying to provide the best for my baby. It's really irritating when those people are coming from an 'I am older than you/I've seen more than you did, therefore what I say is right' angle. Some of my relatives aren't educated so printing them information to read is not going to work. Somehow they just don't believe in science/research. I don't know how to disagree with them without sounding rude. Ah just shut up already!

I think at some point you just need to put your foot down. You can say something like "I know that 'X' worked really well for you and that's great, but I am doing 'Y' and that is working really well for me. My mind is made up and I would appreciate it if you would please respect my decisions." You shouldn't have to constantly defend yourself for doing the right thing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

When it comes to the doctor, I just don't ask questions I already know the answer to, but I've been lucky to have very breastfeeding supportive pediatricians (they advise that I sleep-train, however).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That's why I'm starting to hate pedis now! My son likes to eat small and frequency meals (only suck for 5-10 mins every hour), which I have no problem with. My pedi advises me to delay feeding him so that he is really very hungry when he eats and therefore will drink more milk and eat less frequent! Is breast feeding even an area of study for pedis?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    That's why I'm starting to hate pedis now! My son likes to eat small and frequency meals (only suck for 5-10 mins every hour), which I have no problem with. My pedi advises me to delay feeding him so that he is really very hungry when he eats and therefore will drink more milk and eat less frequent! Is breast feeding even an area of study for pedis?
    Ugh, what awful advice! FTR, spacing out feedings does not result in more milk intake, and is detrimental to milk supply. Supply = demand, and when you reduce demand you also reduce supply. Any chance of finding a new pediatrician?

And yes, I think docs do study breastfeeding. For about 5 minutes! That's why I don't ask my doc much about breastfeeding, or parenting or sleep for that matter. I expect my doc to be a good diagnostician, and to be able to figure out what is wrong with my kids when something is wrong. If I want advice on nursing or parenting, I contact the real experts: the llladies here on the forum, my mom, and my MIL. And I trust my gut! I'm the mommy, and I know I read my kids and their needs better than anyone else.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"