Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water: to give or not to give?

Default Re: Water: to give or not to give?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    at you ped. Giving water to such a young baby can be dangerous not only for supply and demand reasons, but because it also flushes sodium from their systems. Breast milk has the perfect balance of water and essential nutrients. Nothing else should be given before 6 months or later.
    Hyponatremia, also called water intoxication, can be fatal. There are adult marathon runners who have collapsed and died after drinking too much water, and with their low body weight, it's even easier to throw off a baby's electrolyte balance. Check out this link: http://www.stlouischildrens.org/arti...ion-in-infants

You might want to distribute the AAP policy statement on breastfeeding (http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...115/2/496.full) to your family and doc, with this bit circled: "During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You have plenty of liquid in your breast. I honestly don't see the point in water. My SIL actually brought over 2 gallons of "baby" water about 2 weeks after LO was born. LO had baby acne and SIL insisted she was too dehydrated. I caught her trying to feed a bottle of water to LO and got severely (SEVERLY) upset. Why would I feed LO water when there is watery, delicious breastmilk readily for her to have? Breastmilk isn't liquid?! I just don't get it. Breastmilk is also extremely nutricious and more tasty then water.

I put my foot down and told SIL and MIL that babies DIE from water and even called the pediatrician office and asked the doc over the phone right then and there. I got a firm "No Need" and that was that.
    Proud of Baby

Not necessary! As a pediatric nurse I would NEVER let/suggest a parent do that! Breastmilk is all your baby needs at 12 weeks. Just ignore these suggestions. These people are crazy

I am so amazed at some doctors lack of knowledge, really how do they stay in practice when they are that clueless! Agree with all pp, didn't give my kids water til they were eating solids, in a sippy and it took a long time til they even got the idea of how to use the sippy!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Yeah, not only is water not necessary for such a small baby, but it can actually hurt smaller babies! http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/baby-water/

Your pediatrician is (how do I put this nicely? oh, never mind) totally high. That is crazy talk. I would seriously look for a new doctor.

I introduced water to Joe around the time I introduced solids - 6 months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Cool Re: Water: to give or not to give?

I was told my breast milk was 85% water, so how much more water should they need? I think these ladies advice is stellar so far, I don't think our babies need anymore than what we give them. When I get unsolicited advice, I say "thank you, I'm going to do some research on that and consult my doctor. That's very interesting." works for me, I'm a first time mommy with zero baby experience, she's 12 days old and thriving, so I must be doing something right. I think you are too. Good luck and congrats

Thanks you everyone! I was too mad at the pedi to realise his claim was actually funny. Well to be fair, he suggested to give half an ounce everyday, not an entire ounce. Anyway I'm not going to give water. But my husband seems to agree with the pedi and says he does have friends whose children refuse water. And there are relatives who always know other relatives who 'give their babies water all the time and they turn out fine'...

Another thing, do you need to clean your lo's mouth/tongue with water? As in gently rub with cotton or a hankie? Again, my aunts tell me to do that. I thought breastmilk is totally clean and have anti-bodies?

Kids don't refuse water because they never got it during infancy. My 2 kids are huge water drinkers and didn't taste it until around 8 months of age, when we started giving them sippies along with dinner. Kids refuse water because their parents are pushovers, and teach their kids to expect non-water beverages on a regular basis, and also because many parents don't model good habits when it comes to what they drink. I bet those same people whose kids never drink water are also the people who don't drink it themselves.

No need to "clean" baby's mouth with anything aside from breastmilk, which is clean and packed with immune factors. When teeth begin to erupt, you can give them a daily wipe-down with a clean damp cloth, but even that is probably overkill. In addition to its other wonderful properties, breastmilk doesn't cause tooth decay. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/tooth-decay/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Kids don't refuse water because they never got it during infancy. My 2 kids are huge water drinkers and didn't taste it until around 8 months of age, when we started giving them sippies along with dinner. Kids refuse water because their parents are pushovers, and teach their kids to expect non-water beverages on a regular basis, and also because many parents don't model good habits when it comes to what they drink. I bet those same people whose kids never drink water are also the people who don't drink it themselves.
    If you want your children to drink water, offer them water (rather than juice or soda or what-have-you) and drink it yourself. Everyone is different, but I keep water and milk in the house for Joe. Everything else (including juice) is a once-in-a-while treat.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    If you want your children to drink water, offer them water (rather than juice or soda or what-have-you) and drink it yourself. Everyone is different, but I keep water and milk in the house for Joe. Everything else (including juice) is a once-in-a-while treat.
    . when i go out to restaurants with elena I am always asked "and what should we get for her..milk? juice?" and when I just say, water they always look confused. What's wrong with water!?!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog