Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DESPERATE! 3 week old has lost 15% of birth weight!

Default Re: DESPERATE! 3 week old has lost 15% of birth weight!

we nurse every 4 hours if baby hasnt wanted to. she likes her sleep lol. i was doing every 2 but she would refuse. i just ordered a SNS. im really hoping it was just a latch issue and we will see improvement on monday. : crossed:: i hate the label "failure to thrive" that they put on her. i hate to say it like this but in my head it makes it sound like something horrible is about to happen but the dr made it a point to tell me that she is not in any immediate danger, we just need to focus and correct the weight gain issue.

So she's kind of a sleepy baby? Is she jaundiced at all? That can cause excessive sleepiness in a newborn.

Tricks for getting a sleepy baby to eat:
    - Annoy her. Tickle her feet, rub the soles with a cool damp washrag, rub against the grain of her hair using your hand or the washrag.
    - Keep her cool; a cool baby is a more alert baby. When nursing, strip her down to a diaper or onsie. Keep a fan blowing in the room you're in.
    - Try dimming the lights, since newborns often close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Switch nursing: when suckling slows down and baby seems to be falling asleep, take her off the breast, burp her, change her diaper, and put her onto the other breast. When she starts to fall asleep again, repeat the process. Repeat until baby will no longer wake or latch.

I would continue to try to nurse every 2 hours. Every 4 hours is just 6 feedings a day, and most newborns need 8-12 feedings, usually more like 10-12 feedings, per day in order to grow and thrive.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. Up to 6 weeks of age (and often longer) babies must nurse a minimum of 10-12 times per 24 hours. More is fine. That is the minimum. This is usually not every such and such hours, a baby may want to nurse 2 or more times in one hour, and then take a longer break of up to 3-4 hours once or twice a day. That is fine, as long as baby is nursing frequently enough the rest of the time and gaining well.

Up until about 2 weeks some babies need to be awoken to nurse enough. If your baby STILL needs to be awoken to nurse that much then that is a sign baby has not been getting enough (or there is something else wrong.) Babies this age can definitely sleep too long. Some babies are "too" good for thier own good if that makes sense. Also if you have been using pacifiers or swaddling baby I suggest you stop until the weight gain is back on track.

Barring a medical issue, I suspect the weight loss issue is a combo of baby not nursing frequently enough and the poor latch. If so, now that the latch is better, this will be very fixable but you will need to nurse much more frequently, both for appropriate weight gain and for appropriately stimulating your milk supply.

BTW most babies spit up quite a bit and this is seldom an issue weight gain wise.

Some babies will latch and nurse in their sleep, so I have included below info on laid back breastfeeding (watch the video at the website in particular) and I have also included tips for waking baby and how to tell baby is getting enough/normal nursing behavior.

Try not to get hung up on the ftt "label." It's good this issue was caught as early as it was, and I have high hopes it can be fixed fairly easily. It sounds like you have a bf supportive pediatrician. In any case I assume that label will be taken off once baby starts gaining appropriately.

laid back breastfeeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com

Waking sleepy baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

Feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

What is normal and expected with a breastfeeding newborn: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Some moms find breast compressions help keeping baby nursing longer and getting more milk: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

thank you ladies for all your replies. just an update, we are hanging in there. i have started supplementing with a bottle of formula first thing in the morning and at night before "bedtime". other than that im still nursing all day and through the night. i got a super sensitive scale at home and have been watching her weight closely. also weighing her before and after feedings to be sure she is getting enough. she is up to 6.5 now. when she gets back to her birth weight we are going to be going back to EBF. the spitting up and/or throwing up has gotten better. now its just a little bit of the normal baby spit up. i dont know what has changed but its working.
    mama to 3 girls andmama to my new monkey butt.
    Nevaeh-9-9-05, Mileigh-8-24-07, Sophia-5-15-12 <-my heart lives outside my body

awesome! sounds like the right direction.

are you also pumping to stimulate more production for yourself, since she's getting those 2 bottles a day?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Wonderful news, mama! I'm so glad you're soldiering on. And I'm with auderey that a pump would be very helpful here- you could fill those supplemental bottles with breastmilk rather than formula AND maintain/increase your supply for the day when you transition back to EBF.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes. I'm pumping while she is getting those bottles. I pump while she is getting them as well.

awesome! how much are you getting? are you giving that to her in the (next) bottle?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I get about 1.5oz per session. And that is from both sides. I'm putting them in the freezer though. She normally eats about 2.5 oz of formula so I don't have enough stock in BM yet to replace a bottle with the BM. But I do give her some BM before her formula bottles. Witch is why I don't have enough for a full bottle yet

1.5 oz per session is awesome! that means you are SO CLOSE to having as much as she eats - only 2 oz short per day - and it shouldn't be tough at all to get rid of that formula. good for you.

it is normal to need more than one pumping session to make up a bottle, so you could do something like combine the 2 pumps from the day into the next morning's bottle, and that would already cut out one of your formula feeds. unless, it sounds like maybe you want to keep her on formula until she regains birthweight for some reason? would she take a full 2.5 oz bottle of milk in replacement of formula? freezing is better than tossing, but it does diminish the awesomeness of the milk just a little, and NOW is when you need the extra milk, right?

anyway, it sounds like you're doing a great job and i just wanted to throw that out there as an idea.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13