Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upper lip tie

Default Upper lip tie

My 3 week old son has a mild posterior tongue tie and a quite thick upper lip tie. It causes him to have a shallow latch and swallow a lot of air. The air leaves him gassy and miserable. Just to be safe, I eliminated dairy a little over 3 weeks ago and stopped taking my prenatal. I know his latch is problematic because he clicks, squeaks and milk dribbles out of his mouth.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to find a doc to clip the lip tie, but am having problems finding anyone to do it. Most docs are telling me he will break it on his own during a fall when he's learning to walk. That sounds barbaric, and doesn't help with my breastfeeding challenge!

I like to consider myself breastfeeding knowledgeable--I'm tandem nursing my 3.5 year old--but haven't been able to find much about lip ties! Ironically, I had a lip tie that my ped clipped when I was 3 weeks old.

Default Re: Upper lip tie

an oral surgeon?
    If his gas is related to the tongue tie I am wondering why you stopped taking your pre-natals?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Have you tried an ENT? That's who's done both of mine, but you may have to travel a bit.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14

Good golly. "it will break when he falls." Meanwhile, breastfeeding is seriously adversely affected, a very serious health concern! And I thought I had heard everything! Call around to your local LLL, local IBCLCs, breastfeeding coalition, or (in the US) your WIC office-someone is bound to be able to steer you to a doctor (or dentist) who will perform the needed surgery.

Posterior tt can be very problematic for breastfeeding as well.

I wonder if you can contact the Academy of Breastfeeding medicine to find a tt knowledgeable doctor in your area.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 6th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Oh good grief. A tie like you describe won't break n a fall. My toddler has severe lip tie and it is still there.

Call local IBCLcs, ENTs, dentists, and your state Children's hospital.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!