Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBF but sometimes pumping - but only pump a small amount?

Default EBF but sometimes pumping - but only pump a small amount?

So I have stopped pumping for the most part but today as I was setting up my pump I got a random letdown so quickly thought I'd pump to see how much I was getting.
    I only got an oz.
    Is this indicative of how much milk I have?
    I know that they say it' not but it was a let down and the milk really doesn't need that much help coming out during a let down so now I'm a little worried!

I only breast feed so really have no need to pump other than to have some saved.
    My other breast normally pumps about 2-3oz during a let down - only if she hasn't had it - re : middle of the night.

Your thoughts?
    Thanks!

Default Re: EBF but sometimes pumping - but only pump a small amount

That is not an indication of how much milk your baby is getting. Ideally you should not be making much milk on top of what your baby needs. We've discussed the problem of oversupply before. One ounce in addition to nursing is perfectly respectable regardless of the letdown. When my supply regulated, I sometimes needed 2-3 letdowns to get enough milk for my baby while I was at work, which is replacing a nursing session not pumping in addition to a nursing session.

You need to let go of this idea that your baby is not getting enough milk. In all of you other posts you have indicated that she is making more than enough diapers. That is all you need to know.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

What she said. A mom who is nursing on demand and not pumping doesn't generally have a lot of extra milk sitting around to be pumped out. This is a good thing- making extra is a waste of energy and puts you at increased risk of plugged ducts and mastitis, etc.!

Mama, you seem so worried about your baby's milk intake. Is there a reason why, aside from first time mommy jitters? Is someone putting a bug in your ear about milk "drying up" or your baby not getting enough?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mama, please understand that I'm not trying to be intrusive, but I'm wondering if you ever talked to anyone about the anxiety you mentioned awhile ago. You are always so worried about how much milk your baby is getting, even though there is not a single reason for concern. I mean this in the nicest possible way and only bring it up because I think you could enjoy your baby a whole lot more if you could just let go of some of these worries.

Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.
    from here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

oh no sorry you ladies are wonderful, you're quite right, to be honest I'm worried about milk supply because well, it's a heck of a responsibility to be feeding your beautiful child and sometimes I've had trouble just looking after myself - so it may well be a physiological thing as you're right, she is getting enough and she's growing beautifully.
    First time Mummy jitters definitely and then a sense of responsibility that I've never felt before, and i just want to make sure everything is ok, but I look over my posts and realise that perhaps I'm a little bit over paranoid about the whole breast feeding thing and should really just RELAX ... easier said than done with me but I'm getting there.

My partner is amazingly supportive and very chilled - but also I have no family here so I guess I feel a bit alone and none of my friends have had babies!
    Ok so this is not a therapy session but you're right, I come here for support and then I get it and feel great - but I should try find some strength myself!

And Phi ... you're not being intrusive at all, I do have anxiety and it's something I do need to realise that it is perhaps over riding all logic.
    Great in theory!
    Thanks Mummy's - you're all truly wonderful so thank you so much.

I get it. I had a wicked oversupply and I worried about my fat little baby getting enough too.

It's hard not to worry when you are a new mommy, and of course you are encouraged to post your concerns here, especially if the feedback helps you feel better. I just remember you mentioning chronic anxiety and wanted to make sure you aren't suffering needlessly because of it.

You and your baby are doing great! Try to just relax and enjoy each other!

Have you looked for a La Leche League group? You might benefit from other like-minded (or at least like-feeding) mothers and it might also cut down on your feelings of isolation.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

it can really help to SEE as well as talk to other nursing mommas and babies "in the flesh." Some new mommy anxiety is of course normal. I recall leaving our first pediatrician appt with number one son, which we had right after getting out of the hospital, when breastfeeding was going truly horribly, and the doctor saying “see you in two weeks.” I remember thinking “Is he kidding? We have no idea what we are doing, I can’t even feed this kid, why are they letting us take this precious baby home? They are crazy!”

I thought I got over this in a matter of weeks after we got help and breastfeeding started going great, (in fact I soon had oversupply from unnecessary pumping but did not realize that until much later.) But recently I found my old baby log, and realized I had kept meticulous count of every poop, pee, and length of nursing session, including how long on each side (!) for 6 MONTHS! I had no recollection of doing this. BTW this was all before I started attending LLL meetings. I am sure now it would have greatly lessened my anxiety to see other young breastfed babies and talk to other nursing moms.

IMO anxiety about milk supply is exacerbated by seeing/hearing so much MISinformation online and elsewhere. If you believe the typical comments online, from some medical professionals, and from formula advertising which is ubiquitous, then you have to think that low milk supply happens to almost every mom, that breastfed babies are routinely ‘starved, ’not to mention that most moms have to restrict their diets to nurse, nursing ALWAYS hurts for the first two weeks, etc. etc. etc. I find in trying to get information out about normal breastfeeding, we are fighting straw men all the time. It’s very frustrating.

IMO learning to trust you body and your baby is so important. Have you gotten a hold of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition?) that may help. If there is a a LLL meeting anywhere near you, GO! Or look for other breastfeeding supportive groups. And keep asking questions here where you can expect good evidence based info. Plus you may want to consider treatment for your anxiety. This is actually a precious, amazing time in you and your baby’s life that will never come again, and prolonged anxiety may interfere with your enjoyment of new motherhood and your baby.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 6th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

You're quite right,there is a lot of misleading information out there, and it can play on you when you hear how 'hard' breast feeding can be, you start believing it even when there is nothing wrong!

I did go to a LLL meeting and it did help but to be honest the woman that ran it didn't know as much as the mothers, so Im going to join a mothers group.

Thank you for not making feel like a broken record, I just going over the same thing!

Time to just trust!