Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Acclimating to pump

Default Acclimating to pump

DS is 9 months old, and I pump three times Monday through Friday while at work. Lately I've been having to turn the suction WAY up in order to get anything out. I thought for sure something was wrong with the pump (PISA), but when I called Medela the CS rep suggested that I might be acclimating to the pump and therefore need to turn it up more.

So, what to do? Is there anything that can be done aside from buying a different kind of pump?

(I changed the membranes, and do compressions. I have two sets of equipment and have the same trouble with both, so there shouldn't be anything wrong there. I cleaned the diaphragm and checked that the cover plate was attached correctly. Anything else I should try?)
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Default Re: Acclimating to pump

never heard of acclimating to the pump but i did have some trouble after I had been back at work and pumping for about a month, for me new bigger horns helped and the return of my period explained a huge drop in supply. how long have you been pumping what is your daily routine, what makes you think you need to turn it way up? triggering the letdown?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I've been experiencing this for about a month now, so it doesn't seem to be related to impending return of AF. I have to turn it all the way up or very little comes out. It used to hurt when I turned it that high . . .

I've been back to work since 12/30/11 and haven't had problems until recently. Here's my routine:

7:15 nurse
    9:30 pump
    12:30 pump
    3:00 pump
    4:30 nurse
    7:00 nurse
    and then DS has been waking 2-3 times a night and nursing.
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Yes, you can become acclimated to the pump. I got to where I couldn't get anything out with a Symphony. My IBCLC suggested trying a different pump. I did change brands. But if turning it up works, that is fine. I pumped with all of my Medela's at full blast (of course, working up to that). It's fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I did seem to eventually get acclimated too and needed to turn the suction up more. As long as it is not hurting you, it should be fine. Double checking your horn fit is a good suggestion. One thing that seemed to help a little bit was to vary the speed and suction during the pumping session to more closely mimic the way my LO nursed.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

I was pondering how to solve the acclimation problem, if that's what it turns out to be. I wonder if it would work to get a manual pump and use that to finish up after getting what I can using the PISA? Sounds like a pain, but it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new double electric, especially since I'm not planning on pumping all that much longer.
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

You might consider renting a hospital grade pump. Some people find that they work a lot better than the purchase-for-home models. If you're not planning to pump much longer, it might be more economical. The Medela Symphony is similar to the pump in style, but with a high end motor.

I had to get pretty aggressive with breast compressions to get the same amount of milk out at a session at 9 months as I had gotten with no effort at 4-5 months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.