Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 week old refusing to nurse

Default 9 week old refusing to nurse

Help! My daughter will nurse sometimes with no problem... and other times she screams her head off as soon as I put her to my breast. She hasn't nursed correctly since 2pm and its after midnight. Ive had her latched on several times since then, but she unlatches within a minute and starts screaming. I finally gave up trying to nurse and let her sleep (she put herself to sleep) so I'm guessing shes not hungry? Shes had horrible gas all evening and hasn't pooped all day (she usually poops everyday..) could she not want to eat because she doesn't feel good?

Shes done this sporatically since 6weeks its just happening more often now, mostly in the afternoon or evening.

Default Re: 9 week old refusing to nurse

Could be the gas or she just wasn't hungry. Maybe check for thrush? Most likely she wasn't hungry and was trying to tell you that. As long as she is having enough wet diapers she shoud be okay. Breastfed babies can go many days without pooping. Although my daughter usually will go once a day, but if she skips a day she will poop twice the following day. Could just be a fussy baby too. You are doion great, I don't know if any of this helps or not. Good luck!

How do you check for thrush?

I have also experienced glitches in an otherwise fulfilling breastfeeding relationship. Some days are just off.
    If I was also feeling less than my sparkly best I would take this as a cue to slow down, do less running around outside the house and snuggle in bed longer with the baby.

I have had thrush in the past, the baby did not want to nurse because his mouth was raw and sore. My nipples burned.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

hi mama, how's going this morning? is LO nursing now?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Could you have an over active letdown that bugs her somewhat? If so, it is managed
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

She slept from 1130 to 5am. She ate on one side (normal to her) and promptly fell back asleep till 830. She latched on and ate at 830 fine too. My breasts were very full, to the point of leaking. Could she possibly be getting mad that the milk isn't letting down fast enough?

okay: update... we had 3 normal feedings then one of our fighting feedings. i remembered i had a nipple shield so i used it for a partial amount of the feeding and she calmed down and nursed fine (i used it for five or so minutes then removed it and she nursed an additional five or so minutes.) also, no gulping sounds when the shield was in, but lots when it was off...

That totally makes me think your letdown is a bit fast for her. Try leanin back to nurse, side laying nursing or starting the milk flowing and then putting her on. I also found starting a feeding with the side I ended on last helped.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mine would periodically scream at the breast because of forceful letdown too. Leaning back on a few pillows while nursing worked really well for me. It took us a lot of tweaking positioning to get it down though; so don't get frustrated if it feels a little awkward at first.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).