Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old just started falling asleep on the boob

Default 10 week old just started falling asleep on the boob

My darling seems to be sleeping all day and now falling asleep on the boob!
    She wakes to feed but as soon as she latches she's asleep - I"m a bit concerned as normally she's difficult to get to sleep but now she sleeps all day!

She still has 7 wet diapers but over the last 24 hours no poop and normally she does poop about 3 times a day and big ones as well - I'm sure she's getting enough milk - so could this be a growth spurt - she's not feeding more though.

Not sure what to do really - let her sleep, tickle her feet more to get her to feed more - offer her a EBP bottle so I know she's getting enough?

She doesn't have a fever and she's not lethargic when she's awake - she just sleeps allll theeee time

Any thoughts?

Default Re: 10 week old just started falling asleep on the boob

No bottles!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

- no bottles.

7 wet diapers means she's getting enough. Poops can decrease in frequency to once a week (or longer) and still be normal.

You can see if she'll dream feed while she sleeps, but I wouldn't stress out about it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

ok thanks, I was worried that something wasn't right with her due to her sleeping, she did however just do the most enormous poop i have ever seen so that made me feel better, she just seems to love to sleep!

You know that no poop is not a reason to worry though....right?

Way too lazy for formula

She is probably just growing. Counting wet diapers is a great way to know that shes getting enough. Its totally normal for babies at this age to start pooping less often.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree, probley a growth spurt. That can be tiring for the LO!

It is entirely normal for a baby to fall asleep nursing. All babies do this. Sucking and breastmilk puts babies to sleep. It's the nursing moms secret weapon. It is only (possibly) a concern if every single session is extremely short and there are signs of poor intake (like not peeing enough.)
    Poops every few days is a normal pattern at this age.
    If you think baby is not getting enough milk, arrange for a weight check sooner rather than later. make sure it is on the same scale with same cothing as previous weight check.
    Nursing will normally still be a very frequent activity at this age-typically a minimum of 8-12 times a 24 hour day. Frequent nursing can make up for short sessions if there is concern baby is not getting enough.