Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mommy sick - baby breaks out in head to toe red blotches

Default mommy sick - baby breaks out in head to toe red blotches

The same day I start amoxicillin .. my 5.5 mo old DD breaks out in head-to-toe red blotches and it is very similar to when her older sister had to take amox a few years ago and broke out in similar looking rash.

My ped said the chances are really low bec so little comes through the milk..but says it IS possible...but it can also be heat rash (but since it is on her face, he is not so sure), or she could be coming down with something...My mommy instinct is telling me that it is a reaction to the meds.

So I pumped and dumped for 24 hrs, switched meds (Z-pack) and my DH gave my DD bottles from my freezer stash. The rash didn't get better but it didn't get worse.

But today I started to BF again bec I was told the amox would be out of my system by now... and she has been irritable all day and takes small cat naps and is cranky when she is awake and not latched.
    And the rash/blotches are still very much there, everywhere!

I don't know what to do?!?! Did i resume breastfeeding too early?

Anyone experience this before?

I can use some support from BTDT mamas

thanks
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: mommy sick - baby breaks out in head to toe red blotches

Oh dear mamma, i am so sorry your lo is cranky and rashy, especially when you are feeling under the weather.
    so many medications are compatible with breastfeeding,
    Although I don't know the details about the medication you are taking but if your pediatrician is ok with it, then he probably knows what he is talking about.
    I know my lo's often were not feeling well when I was sick but I nursed anyway. I figured nursing made my life easier.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Does she have a fever? Do you think she could have chicken pox? What were you taking the antibiotics for?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

This also happened to my son when I took cephalosporins. I talked to my doctor and he prescribed something different for me, and my son's spots and upset stomach went away once I stopped the other meds. I don't remember how long it took though. I hope your LO is better soon.

thank you...i am taking amox for bad case of strep throat. normally i nurse through my sicknesses and even though amox is compatible with nursing..she had an allergic reaction to it! so i have to get it out of my system...i hate to pump and dump - never had to do it with my first two kiddies =(

and if that isnt bad enough she is giving us a hard time taking the bottle - when before she has never given us any troubles!!! =(
    Last edited by @llli*katie.flesche; June 5th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

it might be a stretch, but one can get strep on the skin. when i was about 13 i had strep on my legs, doc mortified me by insisting it was razor burn, but i insisted and he finally cultured it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    This also happened to my son when I took cephalosporins. I talked to my doctor and he prescribed something different for me, and my son's spots and upset stomach went away once I stopped the other meds. I don't remember how long it took though. I hope your LO is better soon.
    see about 36 hrs later and her symptoms haven't clear up at all =( now i am worried...
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

I definitely didn't intend to worry you. I can't remember how long it took to see some improvement. Is going back to the doctor/emailing new picture an option?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I definitely didn't intend to worry you. I can't remember how long it took to see some improvement. Is going back to the doctor/emailing new picture an option?
    oh no problem...your post didn't worry me...my baby girl has been doing that all on her own!!! haha!
    I appreciate you telling me your experience..it definitely convinced me that a new call to the ped was necessary!

I finally spoke to the ped again and he told me that it will take a couple of days for the rash to go away but if it doesn't - I should bring her in and he will do a swab/culture. Unfortunately she is too young for benedryl and i know that would probably kick this thing real fast...so i guess I am going to have to (patiently) wait for it to run through her body
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

I just took my dd to the dr for a similar rash...he said that sometimes viruses cause a rash in little kids. But she wasn't sick, me and Dh were. He said she probably had a very mild cold and that it had her break out in a rash. I had never heard of anything like it. He said it would flare up (and it did) then go away. It wasn't itcy or raised or anything, just red splotchy everywher.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby