Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting to think

Default Re: starting to think

You should let go of all pumping sessions now as you have no intention of ever pumping again and you are with your child and your baby can nurse at all those time you would need to pump. And you can begin to drop actual feeding as you see fit and work for your child.
    I however want to gently encourage NOT to get fixated on a date. For a number of reasons. The first is you should be your childs main and only source of nutrition until a year. If you begin to wean BEFORE that point you won't be. 2nd. Having hard date to wean by puts so much pressure on the mother and is sooo confusing for a child. You would not suddenly remove a child favorite lovey with no reason or explanation and I assure you your child is 1000x time more attached to nursing than any blanket or toy. A year is where weaning is to begin. Not end abruptly. It's where you begin to trust your child to eat solids and fill the gaps where there are none with your breastmilk. For most dyads getting to the point where a toddler can be trusted to ingest enough food to nutritionally make up for breastmilk is a process that does not commence on a certain date. It's a process. A process that when done slowly and gently can be stress free for both of you. The 3rd is that your child will at around the time of his first b-day go through the worst most painful bout of teething pain that he has yet experienced. I personally think not being able to nurse through that will be horrific for both you. But much more so for your baby.
    I fully support you putting down the pump FOREVER right now if you are already home for the summer. But I think saying "I need to be done with this in 11 weeks PERIOD" is a recipe that I have seen to have miserable results time and time again here. If your goal is to wean as close to the year point at possible, I think you should nurse on demand all summer while really stepping up the solids game. I take nutritionally very seriously and just to give you an example my son was eating 3 full meals a day and 2 snack by his first b-day and I STILL did not trust that food was able to replace my breastmilk and it's antibodies and all he was getting from me completely. So watch your son. For food an intake and places that you DO feel like you can substitute in solids and plan to drop rhose sessions as close to the year point as you can. But give your self and your child some room to play in terms of weaning. I found that I was very comforted by continuing to nurse a few times a day because of how the breastmilk composition changes after the year point and because my son wasn't keen on cow's milk. By continuing to nurse 3-5 times in a 24hour period of time, I didn't need to sub in other milk fat for brain growth. Which babies NEED. So for me, it took a TON of the pressure off. Allow yourself that. To not feel like is HAS to be DONE by when it's supposed to begin.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for the response. I need to ponder (as I always over think things)....can you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blubell7877 View Post
    I have always had a schedule because I have always had to. I get that it doesn't have to be timed, and exact. I have 11 weeks of summer. Before the solids time, he does nurse. I know 6 is a lot, but he always doesn't nurse at night. I wouldn't mind the 4:30 time, and to do a snack then. But then he has dinner at 5:30. Ugh. This is why I know I need to be 'looser' and more flexible. I am too structured, I know that. And really, if he doesn't eat at 9:30, why not get rid of that time...and if I am out to not pump. But then I keep pumping at 12:00ish because I don't want to loose that time. I guess maybe I should call my LC.
    8 is not a lot, and 6 is not a lot. My baby probably nurses 10 to 14 times a day on the days when I am with her. 8ish on my work days. I'm not knocking your schedule mama, I was just responding to you saying that he could go longer at daycare.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I feel no stress regarding my 15 month old and nutrition because he is still nursing. I know he is getting what he needs because the solids just aren't enough for him.

Also, my son still needs the comfort and security of nursing. He's still so little.

Don't put pressure on yourself to wean, see how it goes.

Definitely drop the pumping and then decide what you want to do.

I hope you don't feel like we are all ganging up on you here - but I also don't really care too much about what solids my 17 month old eats. Actually, I don't worry about the 3.5 year old either. We offer them healthy food - 3 meals a day and 2 snacks - sometimes 3 snacks. Some days they eat a lot of food, other days they don't. But my baby is still nursing on demand when I am with her, so I know she is getting what she needs. My older daughter was on solids pretty consistently around 20ish months, I would guess. She still nursed, but at that point the nursing was augmenting the solids.

The reason I suggested replacing nursing with bottles was because I thought you said you had enough milk frozen to get you through the summer? Maybe I misunderstood that. But I completely agree with Shelly and Erin - ditch the pump!!
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't feel ganged up on. I posted here for advice and support...and that is what you are giving me. Like I said, I just need to be FLEXIBLE which is hard for me. I am such a TYPE A, but I know there is more to it.

I still will be gone 1x a week, and maybe the occasional other times. Do I ditch the pump on the days I am gone? That is a whole other questions, right?

It will depend on how you feel. You can bring the pump with you and pump if you feel like you need to. I'm away from Beatrix for 10.5 hours a day, 4 days a week and I don't pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Do you have any other kids? I ask because I would have died during the molar teething time if not for nursing. I work out of the home during the day and believe me when I say I wanted to dance with glee around a bonfire I set using my old pump! I pumped for 2 kids 14 months and 13 months respectively.

At the point if it were me, I would not pump but nurse when baby wants/ needs this summer. 6 times a day is not very much but as long as it's on demand it's fine. Remember BM is still his main nutrition so you should start weaning if you must, but after 1 year not before. Anyway after 1, you can introduce water or cows milk with solids during the day and continue to nurse if you want at night, but you don't have to feel like you have to abide by a schedule.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

At that age, you can nurse when with baby and not pump at all. And it will be a-ok.

And as a mom who has been able to BF long term and now am not -- my baby cannot breastfeed, so I pump for him -- the difference is huge. It's much harder without breastfeeding as a tool. Teething is killing me. Tantrums. Ugh.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!