Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting to think

Default starting to think

I am starting to think ahead and the weaning process (10 months old). I am a teacher and are off for the summer. I have been pumping at 9:30 and 12:30. He has been feeding at the babysitter at 11:30 and 2:30. I have plenty of frozen milk I can use...so it is not as though he would be 'off BM'. My question is..do I feed him at those times (well around those times) or give him the bottle? I want to be done BF at 12 months by the time I go back to school, his birthday is 8-11. I know the emotional part of doesn't want to be done, but the physical part does, and don't want to pump at school next year (until a 2nd).

Can you give me ideas of what and how to wean? I am just very confused as to how to do this. I know not to stop cold turkey, and to do it gradually. But when/how?

Thanks!

Default Re: starting to think

Are you interested in nursing if you don't have to pump? I work and nurse my 16 month old at home on weekends and at night and don't pump at work anymore.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I think at 12 months I will be done. Not just at morning and bedtime.

Well, weaning is best done slowly. You can replace a nursing session every week with a bottle of breast milk or formula - and at that rate you could be done by the end of the summer and then start introducing more solids and/or cow's milk. The bulk of their diet needs to be from breastmilk or formula until age one.
    Tracie

Mommy to

So you want to be done by 8/11?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, I want to be done at least by the time school starts a few weeks later. I guess at least with all daytime feedings. If the bedtime one is the last, then so be it. Like I said, I have plenty of stored milk to last me I think till then.

I just re-read your original post again... how do you feel about giving him bottles at his normal daycare bottle time? Are you out of school now? Does he react well to you giving him a bottle? How many times a day does he nurse?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't mind...he doesn't take bottles great from me. But he has in the past. I normally, and my husband doesn't either, give bottles at home. Just daycare. Yes, I am out of school. With me, it's:

6:15
    9:30ish
    11:30 solid
    12:30ish
    2:30ish
    4:30ish
    5:30 solid
    7:30ish

With daycare its
    6:15 home
    11:30 dc / solid
    2:30 dc
    4:30 home
    5:30 solid
    7:30 home

So obviously he can go longer. I just let him eat more.
    Last edited by @llli*blubell7877; June 5th, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added solids

Well, I don't have a schedule for my baby and I never have, so I am not going to come down on the side of make him go longer.

If I read that right, you have 6 nursings a day? You're not nursing at the solid points? Or do you have 8 nursings a day?

If I were in your shoes, I might start doing one bottle a day now - just to keep him on a bottle. Or maybe try a straw cup or something - with water first! - to see if he might like that better. Then figure out how many weeks you have and just take it easy. I think you may have a week and a half to phase each nursing session out.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I have always had a schedule because I have always had to. I get that it doesn't have to be timed, and exact. I have 11 weeks of summer. Before the solids time, he does nurse. I know 6 is a lot, but he always doesn't nurse at night. I wouldn't mind the 4:30 time, and to do a snack then. But then he has dinner at 5:30. Ugh. This is why I know I need to be 'looser' and more flexible. I am too structured, I know that. And really, if he doesn't eat at 9:30, why not get rid of that time...and if I am out to not pump. But then I keep pumping at 12:00ish because I don't want to loose that time. I guess maybe I should call my LC.