Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Tubing Care?

Default Pump Tubing Care?

I am always getting water or milk in my tubing. What's the best way to care for tubing?

Default Re: Pump Tubing Care?

Take care not to lean too far forward when you pump to avoid milk from flowing toward the tubes. Medela's instructions only suggest washing your tubing if milk is in them. If you do so, you can whip them around to help them dry, then hang them so that any additional water drips out. I personally do not recommend washing the tubes as I have dealt with too many cases where they have become moldy or the water gets sucked up into the motor (or filter, if a mom is using a Hygeia) and causes problems. One pump comany's rep also suggested running a few drops of rubbing alcohol through the tubing, as needed.

If you see moisture in your tubing after pumping, simply leave your tubes plugged in but remove all others parts and allow the pump the run several minutes like that. It will help push the little drops out.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

If you are always getting milk in the tubing, check your membranes. Sometimes if they are sticky, they make milk back up.

I run a but of rubbing alcohol and hang to dry if I have needed to wash, but I try hard to make sure they don't need to be washed.

Medela tubes mold No matter what I did, they always grew mold.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, mine grew mold so I got new ones...no way to clean those? They are pretty pricey. Sometimes I have to attend to baby while pumping since my husband works a lot, so I have to lean forward.

If they're moldy, toss them. It really stinks that they are so expensive- I understand.

So to help with the leaning forward- what does your set up look like when you are pumping and DH is not around to help with baby? Is baby on your lap, or snuggled next to you?

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

He is usually in my arms, or if he's hungry, he will be in a bouncy chair so I can feed him (we are also having nursing issues). I think I need to invest in one of those bustiers.

Ok, gotcha. Yeah the pumping bra really helped me while I was EPing last year. You can also make your own by cutting holes in an old bra.. Holes just big enough that the flange can poke through, kwim?

Kellymom's site also has a little how-to for hands free pumping that utilizes hair elastics. I'd link it if I weren't on my phone

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

good idea!! thanks!

Yes, hands free bra will help.

Work really hard on the nursing....EPing is super hard long term.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!