Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping the night

Default Sleeping the night

My lo slept the night last night. We were thrilled, but I was quite uncomfortable. Any advice on what to do now that he's starting to sleep the night? Not sure if this is the proper group to post this, but I do work so I have the pumping logistics to deal with. Thank you!

Default Re: Sleeping the night

If you can, sleep too Your supply will match his sleep patterns. But if you are finding yourself short on milk, now or in the future as he drops nighttime nursing, get up to pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How old is the baby?

Way too lazy for formula

He's 19 weeks. At our 4month peditrician visit we were encouraged to let him sleep the night, instead of wake him for feedings, which we were doing. However, if he does wake up and want to eat, I'll still feed him. At this point I'd rather let him sleep and tell me if he wants to eat. Oh, and he's finally over 10lbs.

Does he suck his thumb?

The reason why I asked if he sucks his thumb is that it's said that babies who do so can get the feeling like they're eating and then just go back to sleep. We co sleep and when my baby gets up at around 3 am, she's not squalling in hunger, she just makes these 'eh eh eh' sounds (so cuuuute! ) and then finds her thumb and squirms trying to get back to sleep. I usually just stick a boob in and she eats while being half asleep. But I can see that if she slept in another room that I would think that she 'slept through the night'.

Either that or I'm overfeeding her lol!

Oh at that age I would for sure let the baby sleep thru if he will. I don't think it will last but I wouldn't get up to pump either. I would either pump 1st thing in the morning before you feed the baby to store milk or ride it out. Because you don't want to give your body that signal in the middle of the night if you don't need it.

Way too lazy for formula

If you can sleep, sleep. And don't expect it to last (it might, some kids really do STTN from a young age, but most will have ups and downs).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.