Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me Get Started...

Smile *UPDATE* Please Help Me Get Started...

My DS was born 1/4/12. He will be 5 months Monday. I BFd him from day 1 to day 5. Then I got mastitis really really bad. I could not stand him latching on so I tried pumping. That was even worse. That same day I gave him a formula bottle and it was his 5 day check up at the Pediatrician office. At the appointment he was diagnosed with Jaundice. He wasn't getting enough of my BM to flush the billirubin. Therefore, he was dehydrated! All because of my breast infection. I was so sad. I was also uneducated on the subject and continued with formula. Since then we have discovered allergies and he is on special formula. He is doing ok on it. I have been thinking though that I would like to relactate and EP. I work full time so pumping is just easier for me, but he would still get the benefit of my BM. Am I crazy for thinking I could relactate after 4 1/2 months?! How do I start? Anyone else have luck in relating and EP?! Help me out! Thank you so much

**UPDATE**
    So I moved in the middle of using the manual pump. I couldn't afford to rent an electric pump. So epic fail? Yes. I have officially stopped pumping since 6/1/12. I wish I could start up again. I wasn't having the best luck with the manual and I can't afford an electric pump still since I am the only one working in the household at the moment. He will be 6 months tomorrow. I don't know what to do. I really wanted this to work! I want him to have my breast milk so much! He is on solids now too. Eating what he wants...I am doing BLW and so now I just think it would be pointless. What do you ladies think?! Help me out! Any ideas? Know where I can get a cheap electric pump per month?!
    Last edited by @llli*swtbubbas; July 3rd, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Default Re: Please Help Me Get Started...

You're not crazy! What you want to do can be done, provided you are dedicated to the process and have the right tools. You want to get your hands on a very good pump- hospital-grade rental is best, very good double electric is second best- and correctly sized breast shields. And you want to use that pump religiously, aiming for at least 10-12 pumping sessions a day. You probably want to pump for 10-15 minutes per session, more if you can stand it, and don't get discouraged if you don't see any milk at first. It may take several weeks of intense pumping to get production restarted.

In addition, you may want to take some herbal supplements (fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal) and perhaps take one of the Rx drugs which can increase supply. These drugs- Reglan (avaiable in the US) and Domperidone (Canada, EU)- have additional side-effects and are not right for all women, so talk to your doctor or midwife before taking them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!! I have a WIC appointment tomorrow so I am planning on talking to them about renting a pump. So that should be no problem.Where do I get Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle?! And can I do this solely on pumping 10-12 times a day and taking one of the herbal supplements?! I don't need the Rx drugs right?!

Fenugreek/blessed thistle are available at health food stores and online. I personally suggest looking for fenugreek seed- it is fresher and much cheaper than the stuff that is sold in pill form. Here's an easy way to get the seed: http://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botan.../dp/B001A1TVYO

You do not need the drugs, or even the supplements. When it comes to making more milk, the most important thing you can do is to stimulate the breast frequently using a pump or a nursing baby. Everything else is gravy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much!! I am excited about this. I really want him to get more of my BM if I can. I talked to my boyfriend about it and he laughed and said that our DS will prefer formula over my BM. I felt crushed. I don't know how to get support from him. I am glad there are forums like this

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swtbubbas View Post
    I talked to my boyfriend about it and he laughed and said that our DS will prefer formula over my BM.
    has your boyfriend ever TRIED formula?!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Haha!! Nope. I told him it was sweeter and there is no reason my DS wouldn't take it from a bottle

And while you say you think EPing would be easier, you should reconsider. There is nothing worse than coming home from work, and having to hand baby off so you can pump, which makes baby start crying, when all baby wants is to be with you, but it is time to pump BTDT. I have to EP because my baby was born physically unable to breastfeed. And it has been the most trying thing I've ever done.

I would suggest relactation for sure, but I would try anything to get to nurse that baby when home and on weekends. Otherwise, you spend at least an hour of your at home time on weeknights pumping and 2 hours on weekends, precious time you never get back.

You need to pump with a hospital grade pump and the correct size horns for 120 minutes every 24 hours. One session at least between midnight nd 5 AM. 8-12 sessions to start for at least several months then back down to 6 sessions.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok, good to know! I could always try to have him latch on my boob when I am home. Thanks for the tips

You said your son has a lot of allergies? Are you removing those allergens from your diet? Or are you going to try your milk and then see if you need to remove the allergens from your diet?

Good luck mama!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months