Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No period, should I be worried? (plus milk-donate or use?)

Default No period, should I be worried? (plus milk-donate or use?)

I haven't been on here in a while but my DD is 11 mo. old (will be 1 June 21st). I stopped pumping end of April I think it was and went to only nursing at night and if DD woke up in the night this month and now am stopping nursing all together. I have enough frozen milk to get DD through about 2 more months if not longer. Should I donate the milk or keep giving it to here instead of whole milk as a filler between meals? Plus, the purpose of the post, my period has yet to return, should i be worried at all? I'm not worried about being pregnant because i know I'm not, just worried something is wrong maybe? I know I should be thankful it hasn't returned, just feel weird that it hasn't....
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: No period, should I be worried? (plus milk-donate or use

i would keep the milk, because the longer your DD gets it the better for her. but it depends on how old it is - it'll only stay good in a normal freezer for 3-4 months, so you mihgt need to donate sooner than that. i donated through human milk for human babies (hm4hm) on facebook, and eats on feet is good too.

remember that your milk should be her primary source of nutrition till she's 1, so give that frozen milk always before solids.

i have heard that average period return is 15 months, though usually that corresponds with a decrease in nursing/pumping, too. don't think it's something to be worried about yet though.

congrats on making it a year!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

you worked hard for that milk! and your baby deserves the best too! you can use the thawed breastmilk in her cereal, add it too what ever solids she eats or of course, give it to her in a sippy cup or bottle.
    my SIL had no AF between ds1 and ds2, so you never know!
    but I remember my ob/gyn sending me a post card to come in for a one year check up. so it's probably time to be seen any way.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Until 1, baby's primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk (or formula, if breastmilk is not available), not solids, so keep offering your milk! And after a year, your milk continues to provide superior nutrition and immune support, so if you have it, continue to give breastmilk and not animal milk.

Regarding your period, it will probably return within a couple of months of total weaning. If it doesn't, see your midwife or doctor. What sort of birth control are you using? If you're using Mirena, that could explain absent periods.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

All of the frozen milk has been kept in the deep freeze and oldest has been used first, I think the oldest left might be from December? So just prolong whole milk as a filler and just keep giving the frozen milk?
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Yes, breastmilk in the deep freeze should be good for around a year, so continue to give breastmilk from the stash and delay cow's milk until you run out of "home brew". Also, remember that breastmilk isn't just filler. It has a lot of nutritional value even if it no longer makes up the totality of baby's diet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Breast milk is not "filler" at all. It is an important part of a toddler's diet.

I've always been impressed by this information from KellyMom:

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    Clearly it is nutritionally valuable for your daughter to receive every last drop of your expressed milk.

Additionally, my son refuses cow's milk. He just spits it right out. You might need the expressed milk anyway in case she is more resistant to transition to a different milk, like my son, and the transition is slow going. She might not be, in which case breast milk is still nutritionally superior to alternative milks, but it's also good to have the breast milk available just in case.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Some people also have experienced the mini-pill delaying their period.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks ladies!
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!