Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: worried about leaving baby

Default Re: worried about leaving baby

i'm going to try the bottle one more time before sunday and if that doesn't work, i'll have to use an alternative feeding method. unfortunately, bringing her is not an option. thanks for the advice. just one question- i'm assuming lipase becomes an issue with milk as it's left over time, correct? so if i pump once on sat and again on sun, that milk should be pretty much lipase-free, right?
    Last edited by @llli*babiestl; June 5th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Lipase is present from the get go, even as the milk sits in your breast. It is an enzyme that breaks up fats. The smell and taste come from the activity of the lipase on the fats in the milk. The longer the milk sits, the more fats are broken down by lipase and the stinker it becomes.

If you pump in the morning and your milk tastes soapy by that evening, then the lipase is acting every quickly. You need to scald the milk before it starts smelling soapy. Put a small amount of freshly expressed milk in the fridge, then smell/taste it every hour or so. Whatever time until it starts to smell/taste soapy is the maximum amount of time you can leave your milk unscalded. Because you don't have much time before the lipase starts digesting your milk, you may need to scald using a bottle warmer at the wedding if you want to save any of the milk that you express while you are there.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

thanks