Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sporadic but sharp pain between feedings-misdiagnosis?

Default Sporadic but sharp pain between feedings-misdiagnosis?

I recently visited by family practice after growing concerned with some pain in my right breast along with a new white blister on my nipple. I furiously massaged it in hot showers and also tried hand expressing to see if it were a clogged duct and the blister did disappear. During the appointment, I shared descriptions of the pain and other symptoms but after checking me out, I left with no diagnosis and therefore, no course of treatment. Instead, they suggested I get an ultrasound of my breast if the pain persisted at the same intensity.

While I did not get the ultrasound, I do still have the pain (although it subsided)and I am worried that it could be thrush. My DD has had no symptoms but I am wondering if an occasional rash on her bum that has been reappearing after some of her larger poopies should have raised more concern in the past. With the arrival of her first teeth, she has been comfort nursing and nursing more frequently. We are 8 1/2 months in and despite a few bumps along the way, she really has had no big issues. Am I being overly anxious or should I go get a second check-up?

Default Re: Sporadic but sharp pain between feedings-misdiagnosis?

greetings alaina.mommy!
    I know how alarming it is too have a new hitherto unknown pain develop deep in the breast. The times when I experienced a dull heavy ache in the breast it wasn't thrush.
    For me it was an early sign to get back into bed and nurse my baby like a newborn. For me that was the tried a true method of fighting off mastitis and to unclog an inflamed duct.
    My lo's diaper rashes were often associated with teething.
    i would be anxious too if breast pain persisted. But that is why i took the pain as a cue to slow down and take some much needed rest with the baby only an arms length away.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Milk blisters often hurt for a while after they pop, so it could be that. If it's in one spot, I would suspect a clog. Or it could be thrush (did you take antibiotics for the mastitis?). Thrush is usually a surface burning pain at latch and doesn't usually hurt so much between nursings, although it may in severe cases.

One more thought - many women don't feel letdown sensations until a month or so into nursing. Letdown can feel like a dull achy pain and it would happen anytime your ducts fill, including between nursings.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Could you describe the pain for us? Is it more of an ache, or more of a burn?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's more of an ache that shoots through my breast. Sharp and radiating, it comes quickly and lasts for varying times. And to clarify my earlier post, we've been fortunate to not have any problems like mastitis but have worked really hard with latching once she started teething and battled with her weight gain (or lack there of). Since I am staying at home now with DD, I am BFing on demand and have started timing and logging our feedings.

Since it sounds like you definitely had a blister, I'd say the most likely explanation for the pain is something related to that. But if it intensifies, becomes more than sporadic, or you see skin changes that are suggestive of thrush (blisters, dry, flaking, peeling skin, cracks, white patches in baby's mouth) then go back to the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"