Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in poop so late?

Default decrease in poop so late?

Ok, I swore up and down that I wouldn't be worried about normal baby pooping patterns, but here I am, needing reassurance.

DS is not quite 7 months, and up until a couple weeks ago, he was having at least 4 poops a day (pretty big ones). Then he suddenly dropped down to one, first thing on waking up in the morning. The last few days, he hasn't even pooped on a daily basis. He doesn't seem to be in pain, or swollen belly or anything, but I'm a bit about this sudden change in his elimination habits with no real change in nursing habits. Still has a great quantity of wets. Is this normal at this stage in the game?

I should add, he's not really on solids: we gave him a bit of avocado, and he licked it, but got angry that it wasn't what he expected, and wouldn't have anything more to do with it. So we figured we'd wait a bit. So I doubt that would be affecting him, or am I mistaken?

Default Re: decrease in poop so late?

My baby was continually changing his pooping frequency with no real rhyme or reason throughout his infancy. He dropped down to one every 2-3 days early on, then went back to a couple every day, then back down to one every 2-3 days again around 6 months (he wasn't taking solids at the time), then back up a few months later, and so on. He starting pooping a little more frequently again once he started eating a significant amount of solids, which took quite awhile. Our pediatrician assured me that all of it is normal.

As long as there doesn't seem to be pain, and poops aren't dried and pellet-like (although they do become firmer once you start solids), then there is no reason for concern.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Normal, but I think it pays to be cautious with the solids and focus on the non-constipating ones (fruits and veggies with the exception of apples and bananas), just in case.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok, just wanted to make sure. He had such a regular pattern for so long, then startled me by changing it up. Nothing seems amiss, so I'll just roll with it. I think my supply might also finally be regulating to exactly the right amount, rather than a tad too much (fingers crossed for diminishing leakiness), and I suppose there could be some correlation there.
    Oh the questions I never thought I'd have!

I've heard that at a certain age (~4-5 mo??) some breastfed babies start pooping less frequently because they get so efficient with the milk that there isn't much left to poop out! That certainly happened with our LO, he had a stretch there where he sometimes went 6-9 days w/o pooping, and then pooped a lot one day (and he had wet diapers, wasn't acting irritable or in pain, and his belly and stools weren't hard, etc.).

When we introduced solids he DID start having more problems with actual occasional constipation so as mommal noted if that's an issue you want to make sure the LO gets "moving" foods (e.g., pears, green veggies, etc. - the Wholesome Baby Foods site has a good list of foods for that situation if it arises) and perhaps give a small bit of water after each solid meal. I had to when you mentioned the avocados - this was our LO's first food and he did the same thing! He just wanted to play with it. But then the third/fourth time we offered (a few weeks later) he couldn't get enough of them and now he loves avocados!

Well, he pooped in my lap just now, stealthily, right when I was least expecting it, in a diaperless moment. So I guess that's good, haha.
    We're going to go pretty slow on solids, and I'll keep those things in mind as he starts actually getting things to his mouth. (For what it's worth, I only began liking avocado a couple years ago, so I guess maybe it's an acquired taste.) I think he's more focused on his motor skills at the moment, and had mostly been uninterested in our food, even though a month ago he was snatching, but I wouldn't let him 'cause he couldn't sit on his own. What an interesting age.

My daughter has been 1 poop a day since about 6 months. But sometimes she skips a day and then will poop twice the next day. Unless there is straining or discomfort you notice I think all is well! =)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Well, he pooped in my lap just now, stealthily, right when I was least expecting it, in a diaperless moment. So I guess that's good, haha.
    This reminded me of DD's excitement and pride a couple weeks ago when she pooped on the kitchen floor when my back was turned. Clapping, pointing... yeah, close, but no cigar. (We're starting the potty thing.)

But, yeah, DD's poop was (and is) all over the map as far as frequency goes. At around your baby's age, she would sometimes go weeks without pooping and would change her pooping pattern on a dime. She still regularly goes 4-5 days between BMs, but because breastmilk is still her primary nutrition source, I'm not worried about it. I think it's true that they get extremely efficient at digesting your milk. Follow your instinct about solids; I think you're spot on to not push them too hard.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010