Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8.75 mo old nursing strike - & maybe I brought it on!

Default 8.75 mo old nursing strike - & maybe I brought it on!

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the length of this post. I really hadn't read much about nursing strikes (and now wish I had, or maybe this could have been avoided! ) but my LO may be having one, and the timing couldn't be more precarious. I leave for my first business trip away from him in four days and it will be four days and three nights that I'm away. My DH is now away on a business trip until the day before I leave, and I am a WOHM who pumps during the workday while LO is with his (family) caregivers.

Anyway, in reading now about strikes I see that one of the possible reasons is that mom is too busy or delays offering the breast. Last night I guess I was trying to do too much after work with my LO - had him in the bouncy watching me while I made some of his solids meals to send with him to his caregivers this week - and he was whimpering for a long time (not full-on crying) for several minutes because I had stuff on the hot stove and couldn't safely cook with him in my arms, and I had started the cooking while he was still in a good mood and not (what I now realize) crying for me to pick him up.

Although I picked him up several times throughout the evening, I had to put him down again to attend to various tasks and he spent more time in his crib or seat than usual because I was here alone with him. When my DH is here (also his first business trip since LO was born - talk about timing!) my LO has never had to cry for very long because one of us was always holding him and I offered the breast in the evening pretty often even though he has been having more solids lately.

So then later in the evening when I was able to pick him up and brought him over to nurse him (for the second time in the evening; the first time after we got home, he did nurse fine), he refused the breast. I didn't think too much of it, just thought he wasn't hungry even though he rarely if ever has refused. Then when I offered again before bed, he cried and arched away (we were in side-lying position and he was very sleepy, which I thought should have made it easier from what I'm now reading). I was by then getting more concerned because he has ALWAYS wanted to feed to sleep in the past, but I put him to bed without nursing, and he didn't protest. I tried to feed him about an hour later when I heard him moving around, but he refused again and I put him back to sleep. Then I decided to pump so I didn't get engorged.

Just before midnight I heard him fussing around so I brought him into bed with me to feed him - and he refused again! I had to go pump and now I can't sleep for fear and intense guilt that I put him on this road accidentally, and worry that with my business trip coming it will be impossible to turn back. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Please help!

Default Re: 8.75 mo old nursing strike - & maybe I brought it on!

Just an update to say that I tried again and he just nursed! I didn't want anyone to expend energy answering this yet if things have turned around, but since it's 2:30 am I can elaborate more later.

Big hugs momma! i am so relieved he settled down and nursed. i bet that made you feel so much better. What a weight off your mind. Let us know how things go when you return from your business trip.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thanks so much, esthervegan! You are exactly right - I was able to get more sleep after that. I got him up when he was fussing and after some cuddles and a diaper change he was interested in nursing. PHEW! This little mini-strike (which I hope is over) gave me a) even more huge respect for EP'ing mamas, and b) realization that the nursing relationship is even more important to me than I thought it was. To have it abruptly stop was really upsetting!

I will let you know how the post-business trip goes - fingers crossed!!