Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fussy, gassy, and spitting up

Default Re: Fussy, gassy, and spitting up

Thank you again for all the wonderful advice!! Things have started to get better. This morning I didn't pump at all and her spit up was way less. She is still gassy, but we can manage that. Just as I say this she projectile spits up on me, lol. She seems happy, but is fussy when her gas is bad. Sometimes she seems uncomfortable when she spits up a lot, but Im not sure if it's because she is hungry still.

My baby spit up like crazy. Offering the same breast through an entire feeding helped with that some. I would nurse him on the left. When he unlatched I would burp him, then put him back on the left. I would keep doing this until he seemed satisfied. The next feeding I would keep him on the right. I switched back and forth between breasts like this all day.

You can discuss reflux with your pediatrician, but the results of overactive letdown and oversupply are often misdiagnosed as reflux. I would try offering one breast per session and nursing reclined for awhile before assuming reflux.

Some babies are just spitters. Mine was. I just had to do my best to minimize it, and get used to being covered in spitup.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Okay, so I have another question. My baby is a real tough burper. When I am successful and she does burp, 9 times out of 10 she spits up (little to a lot of spit up). Is this normal or should I be worried?

Normal. The reason babies spit up is that the muscles that keep their stomach contents down where they belong are weak, and even a little burp is usually accompanied by some stomach contents. But those muscles will strengthen in time, and the spitting will stop.

Don't worry too much about burping your baby unless she is really bothered by having some air inside. A lot of breastfed babies would rather let the air out the bottom of their digestive system.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"