Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting worse - won't nurse when awake

Default Re: Getting worse - won't nurse when awake

video on hand expression

I personally have a heck of a time with it, but lots of women find it very useful.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I know I should just try to relax. Added to the anxiety, though, is the fact that she typically only nurses from one breast per feeding. So if I'm nursing 6 or 8 times a day, then each breast is really only getting stimulated 3 or 4 times a day, and that doesn't seem like enough, right? But I guess it is, if it's what she needs? And I guess she'll resume taking both breasts if she ends up getting really hungry.
    I've often wondered about this myself. For example, last night dd nursed at 10 pm then again at 4am (this was with me trying to feed her when she would stir and was simply too sleepy to feed until 4)....then again at 8 am. So in all, one of my breasts was unstimulated for 10 hours!! No real problem with engorgement, but still seems like an awful long time. When this happens I am extra diligent in trying to get dd to nurse every 2-3 hours during the day just to try to get 6-8 feeds in.

That is wonderful you were able to get her to feed while awake!! I can only imagine how happy/relieved you are. I can't even get dd anywhere near my breast while awake, so I have not pumped/expressed the letdown before feeding. (I'm hesitant to try unless I'm fairly confident there was a possibility she would latch....don't want to set off OS again)

Keep us posted of your progress!

Things are much improved. I learned that DD will nurse when she is in a ring sling and starting to get drowsy. She likes this as I can walk around and bounce her, yet she feels snug and supported. YAY! I can't tell you how relieved I am. This is also good news in terms of our upcoming travel plans. I was starting to panic! I feel more confident now about the issue which also helps my milk ejection reflex which was getting delayed because she was so frantic about it. Thanks, ladies, for all the support and advice!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Yay!! So happy you found something that worked....plus a perfect way to nurse while traveling/on the go!!

let's just hope it keeps working. These little ones have a mind of their own!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135