Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting 5mo back to breast

Unhappy Getting 5mo back to breast

The last few months we have rarely breastfed. We had been on a nipple shield since day one and I thought his nipple preference was just too bad and that's why he wouldn't latch without it. Turns out, he couldn't and a few weeks ago was finally assessed correctly for a tongue and lip tie. Procedure was completed a few weeks ago. Since then he's had a snotty nose/cold so it took a week for him to try to nurse. I work full-time so I can't work with him all day and he has to have bottles throughout the day. I can get him to latch a few times a day and maybe nurse a bit after a bottle. Is it realistic to think I can ever get him to breastfeed solely again? I should clarify...he's had zero trouble latching without a shield since the procedure...it's really about getting him interested in nursing again.
    Last edited by @llli*rebekahb; April 8th, 2014 at 12:10 PM.

Default Re: Getting 5mo back to breast

Is it wrong to bump my own post?
    Last edited by @llli*rebekahb; April 8th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

Never wrong. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, and so forth!

It's totally realistic to think that you can get your baby back to the breast. Not guaranteed, but still realistic. Just keep offering in a low-pressure way, and try the techniques in this link: kellymom nursing strike. Also, make sure your baby is being bottle-fed in a breastfeeding-supportive way: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Would it be possible for you to take a few days off work?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, I could take a few days off if I was sure that would work. I'll be in town and won't need to leave the house this weekend, however. Hopefully that will be enough time to work with him on it. I've never co-slept and am considering doing that to see if he'd nurse in the middle of the night. He usually sleeps through the night though.

Co-sleeping is a great idea in this instance! A lot of babies who resist nursing during the day will nurse at night when they're too relaxed to fuss about how their meal is delivered.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Co-sleeping is a great idea in this instance! A lot of babies who resist nursing during the day will nurse at night when they're too relaxed to fuss about how their meal is delivered.
    Thanks, Mommal. You know, I've never co-slept before and he has slept through the nights for months, but I might just give it a go. I really want this to work out but he acts like he is weaning himself.

I'd definitely give the co-sleeping and nursing vacation a go. Sleep with your shirt off and (if it's warm enough) put baby in just a diaper. that way you're skin to skin all night long, which encourages nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He nursed maybe 5 minutes this evening on one breast. Then he pulled off and spit up. I'm not sure if he's getting more than it seems or not getting much but more air causing the spit up. I'm going to try to the co-sleeping tonight...but I tried waking him during a nap and he wouldn't even open his mouth. Hopefully that's different during the night? I keep thinking that I'm getting my hopes up too much. I'm afraid after all these months of inconsistent nursing that he just will never nurse like I want him to.

Every situation is different, but I just wanted to assure you that it is possible to bring babies back to the breast even after months and months of not nursing at all, or in some cases, never nursing prior. But it does take a bit of time and patience, and trying different things and the same things a few times.

Spitting up after nursing may mean nothing at all. Since it was just once, I would take a wait and see approach with that.