Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breast aversion...only nurses while asleep

Default Re: Breast aversion...only nurses while asleep

My four-month-old only nurses when drowsy (going to sleep) or during sleep. It's been this way for quite some time now. I have the same issue taking him out places because he gets hungry and fussy then roots for the breast but when he gets there he screams and pulls off or won't latch. I used to have oversupply and felt engorged very often during the first three months. He used to choke on the milk and cough pretty often and still does sometimes even though the oversupply is gone. He's a big boy (somewhere between 17 and 18 pounds right now, due for a weigh-in soon), so I'm not concerned about his weight gain, but it is pretty tough to feed him since I have to rock him until he's drowsy first and there's plenty of fussing...and if any little sight or noise disturbs him I have to start all over again. I definitely wanted to be getting out and doing things more because I'm perfectly happy to nurse in public, but I will do what I need to do to keep him nursing until this phase passes. It's good to know that there are others out there dealing with this too, especially since mamas in this situation do tend to stay home more. I would love to hear another success story as well.

Hey I know this is an old post- I was just wondering if any of the moms on here now are having this issue- I am! It seems to be kind of one thing after another! (OALD, OS, tongue tie- all now resolved!) Maybe I just need to chill out and relax about it all! I'm just nervous getting out of the house with my 4 month old and my 2 yr old because baby will need to nurse but he's so distracted/ hard to latch that he pops off when awake or when I offer- but is an awesome nurser while sleepy or dreamfeeding! It's such a circus getting him to latch and feed when wide awake, I almost get embarrassed. He never screams at the breast (which is a blessing) he just turns his head and "pops" off. We do this over and over, so I just assume he's not hungry enough.

Come heck or high water- I will breastfeed this child! After such an easy experience with the first, I'm just so blown away with the challenges this time around!

So mamas- if this has happened to you... What made it better? Did it get better? Any advice?

The distracted 4 month old is a very different syndrome than a baby on strike. A striking baby somehow developed a bit of a breast aversion whereas the 4month old is just distracted because someone turned on the world. I would get a nursing necklace because it will begin to happen at home and if you can distract your baby now with a necklace perhaps you have avoid the twiddling and fiddling that is coming next. Also I would pump and bring bottles for trips out. It won't prevent the distracted pop offs but at least it won't leave you with your breast out on display.

Way too lazy for formula