Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is over supply bad?

Default Re: Why is over supply bad?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*TANPIXIE View Post
    Can you give that milk away to people who can't breast feed?
    Yes, there are human milk banks and informal milk sharing arrangements.

Wow sorry that OS hurts so much - i hope no one thought my question was thought less x
    Nope, not to worry. We know that a lot of new moms are anxious about supply, and oversupply is one of those things that does seem like a good idea until you actually experience it! So the question isn't thoughtless at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    2 more reasons oversupply is bad:
    - When mom has a lot of milk and it comes out very quickly, the baby never has to expend much effort in order to get a meal. Then, when/if the oversupply goes away and the flow slows down, the baby gets incredibly frustrated because he/she never learned how to work for a meal.
    This is so true! I'm going through that right now. I think my milk is back to where it needs to be but now she is fussy at the breast and always on and off while eating. I think she wants to eat fast and be done now.....so we are figuring that out. Eventually we will be back to normal (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Nope, not to worry. We know that a lot of new moms are anxious about supply, and oversupply is one of those things that does seem like a good idea until you actually experience it! So the question isn't thoughtless at all.
    If I hadn't learned the hard way that oversupply was rough, I would have thought, like you, that it was awesome, something to shoot for! So I totally get the question.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

when i was crying everyday because i couldnt increase my supply enough to exclusively breastfeed a friend said she battled over supply and if she hadnt been a couple of thousand miles away i would have beaten her with the darn breastpump. then with baby 2 i got oversupply and had a super miserable baby. i call my friend an appologized. imo it is not as awful as true low supply but it is bad enough.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    when i was crying everyday because i couldnt increase my supply enough to exclusively breastfeed a friend said she battled over supply and if she hadnt been a couple of thousand miles away i would have beaten her with the darn breastpump. then with baby 2 i got oversupply and had a super miserable baby. i call my friend an appologized. imo it is not as awful as true low supply but it is bad enough.
    I had the same experience. If you'd offered me oversupply when I was struggling to meet my first daughter's needs, I would have kissed your feet. But then baby #2 came along and I had oversupply, and I was like "Wow, this sucks! Not as much as undersupply, but it still sucks!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's true! It's true!!

Before I was breastfeeding, I read tons of books and went to classes. Nobody ever really discussed overproduction and when I read about it briefly in the tiny pamphlet book - it did not mention anything serious. I was thinking, "Must be a GREAT thing to have all this extra milk I can store up!"

Little did I know!!

A lot of my family members/friends had low/no supply - so while I am crawling around my house, grasping both breasts in my hands and weeping from the pain - they were all like, "Oh suck it up! It can't be that bad! There's no way you have that much milk... why I remember when I didn't feed/pump for 6 hours and nothing happened!"

I'd tell them, they were very lucky. With low supply, there's at least formula as back-up (I know it's not ideal, but forumula doesn't hurt the mama physically). Meanwhile, if 2.5 hours have gone by and I haven't fed the baby or pumped, I get severe plugged ducts and I walk around wishing someone can wack me unconcious with a frying pan!!

I still remember trying to explain the sensation to the bewildered DH He asked me how it felt and I spent the next 30 minutes trying to describe the most excruciating pain I was feeling from Mastitis.

"Sock stretched over sharp rocks!"

"A thousand needles stabbing me simultaneously..."

"Hot burning sensation across my chest"

"Wet and tingling sensation... like someone burning me with a candle, while squirting me with a bottle!"

"Sandpapering my nipples!"
    Proud of Baby