Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is over supply bad?

Default Why is over supply bad?

Everyone keeps saying it's not good but why exactly?

The pros would
    1. Knowing your baby was getting enough
    2. Knowing your baby was getting enough
    &
    3. Knowing your baby was getting enough!

I'm always so worried that she's not, when I pump I get very little, I try to pump to increase supply - it's the hardest thing about breast feeding (i think) is the constant worry that she may not be getting enough.

In my mind an over supply would elevate all those worries, so why would it be bad for me to create an over supply - assuming I can?

Default Re: Why is over supply bad?

The cons would be:

(1) Baby choking on milk flow
    (2) Engorgement ALL THE TIME
    (3) Plugged ducts
    (4) Mastitis
    (5) Baby refusing breast because not wanting to get hosed with milk
    (6) Baby puking all.the.time because they are getting hosed with milk
    (7) Baby screaming because they want to comfort nurse but the.milk.will.not.stop.coming.out

Etc.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

hmm ok..... I see how that could be a problem

You don't want too much. You want to work to get just enough to feed your baby. Oversupply isn't always a bad thing. But there is too much risk involved IMO to REACH for it. Just reach for enough. And if your baby has the right number of wet diapers in a 24hour period and IS gaining on a consistent curve than you ARE making enough and the self doubt should be left at the door. Not allowed to ferment to the point where you could actually cause yourself health problems. Because Mastitus and clogged ducts are both real conditions that hinder nursing and cause real pain to the mother. And Mastitus is treated with antibiotics which leave you open to thrush which is another real fun party no one ever can ever get away from soon enough.

Way too lazy for formula

Count diapers. If it goes in it comes out. If she makes enough diapers she is getting enough to eat. Whether you pump well or not. The end. Feed your baby.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    Everyone keeps saying it's not good but why exactly?
    I responded in your other thread and mommy2lilah covered it well, but to reiterate:

Painful engorgement. Plugged ducts to the point that you feel like you've been punched in the breasts repeatedly every day. Potential mastitis if you don't get those plugs out. A baby who screams and screams and screams at the breast because the spray is like a fire hose. Biting down on the nipple to slow the flow causing cracking and severe pain. Horrible screaming gas pains and spit up covering every surface in the entire house. There is absolutely nothing good about it.

The pros would
    1. Knowing your baby was getting enough
    2. Knowing your baby was getting enough
    &
    3. Knowing your baby was getting enough!

I'm always so worried that she's not, when I pump I get very little, I try to pump to increase supply - it's the hardest thing about breast feeding (i think) is the constant worry that she may not be getting enough.
    You know your baby is getting enough by counting diapers. Oversupply doesn't automatically mean your baby is getting enough. Especially when your baby constantly screams at the breast because your letdown has the same force as Niagra Falls. I still counted diapers with my insane oversupply because my baby hated nursing when he was little.

Your body is supposed to only make enough milk to feed your baby. You are not supposed to be able to pump much milk after nursing. You need to relax and trust your body to do the right thing. Oversupply is not the answer to your worries. It only creates a new set of worries!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

The human body is truly amazing!! The "over-supply" issue is very much a problem of our well nourished, blessedly healthy population.
    There was a time in the not too distant past that a mother who survived childbirth and who had a plentiful milk supply would be called upon to nurse children other than just her own. the human body is capable of nursing more than one baby at a time to enhance the survival of the clan/tribe/family group.
    But now a days because of the advancements in medical care we all survive childbirth unscathed,( for the most part), we are all producers of plentiful milk and here is where the problem arises.
    Too much milk, too much of a supply can overwhelm a baby making deep rhythmic suckling impossible. mothers often intuitively adjust by nursing from one side per feeding to calm down the supply.
    if a mother continues to pump/express her extra milk and also nurses every two hours, her body will continue to make more milk than her baby can handle.
    a mother will know her baby is getting adequate milk by watching the baby, counting wet/dirty diapers
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I completely agree with what these wise ladies have said. There's nothing wrong (in my opinion) with shooting to produce a little more milk than your baby drinks, so that you can, say, pump once a day and stash the extra. This is not necessary, but it's not a BAD thing. But you definitely don't want true oversupply, because when you have a ton of milk, you're more likely to get sick (clogs and mastitis), which is no good in the short or long run, and your baby is more likely to have a hard time actually nursing, due to overactive letdown and sometimes, excess foremilk issues. What you want to shoot for is enough milk for your baby, plus maybe just a little extra.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I responded in your other thread and mommy2lilah covered it well, but to reiterate:

Painful engorgement. Plugged ducts to the point that you feel like you've been punched in the breasts repeatedly every day. Potential mastitis if you don't get those plugs out. A baby who screams and screams and screams at the breast because the spray is like a fire hose. Biting down on the nipple to slow the flow causing cracking and severe pain. Horrible screaming gas pains and spit up covering every surface in the entire house. There is absolutely nothing good about it.

You know your baby is getting enough by counting diapers. Oversupply doesn't automatically mean your baby is getting enough. Especially when your baby constantly screams at the breast because your letdown has the same force as Niagra Falls. I still counted diapers with my insane oversupply because my baby hated nursing when he was little.

Your body is supposed to only make enough milk to feed your baby. You are not supposed to be able to pump much milk after nursing. You need to relax and trust your body to do the right thing. Oversupply is not the answer to your worries. It only creates a new set of worries!

Oversupply leaves both mom and baby miserable. My first plugged duct and mastitis left me in more pain and wiped out than the c-section. DS also was miserable with colic that lasted for months until my supply regulated. OS is definitely not something to strive for.

Oh my gosh mama!! I am the PERFECT example of why oversupply is AWFUL if you can't handle it properly!! Please please please take the time to skim through my thread here. I agree with the other mom's - while there is nothing wrong with trying to increase your milk production at the very beginning... you need to be very careful not to overdo it once your milk fully comes in. It's great to have a back-up supply stored away in your freezer, but I will honestly tell you I HATE dealing with the agonizing pain of plugged ducts every day and I'm exhuasted having to pump all the time, to keep up with my production. In fact, I had to work with my LC just to decrease my milk production, because it was getting out of hand at one point!

Just be careful!
    Proud of Baby