Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBM amounts after starting solids

Default EBM amounts after starting solids

My DD has been eating solids once a day for almost two months now. Occasionally she'll eat 2x a day (but normally takes one or two bites and isn't interested during the first meal). I know breast milk is still the most important part of her diet, so am nursing her on her usual routine (about every 2-3 hours during the day, plus once or twice during the night). But I notice I'm pumping less on Mondays after a weekend home with her. I'm guessing she's taking in less milk, as I'd read will happen. So should I be still giving her the same amount of EBM during my workday? She currently has 4 bottles of about 3.5 oz (which is 1.5 oz. per hour), and is what she's had since she was about 3 months old. I don't want to cut out any breast milk, but don't want her nursing less when I'm home, either.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: EBM amounts after starting solids

If you are able to pump that much, then I would continue to send that much. However, if you are struggling to produce that much for the pump, then you would probably do fine to send a little less. The recommendation is 1-1.5 ounces per hour, so cutting back a little can still keep you in that range.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).