Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding "normalcy."

Default Re: Finding "normalcy."

Well I hate to even mention encouraging a sleeping baby to nurse to a tired mom because of course everyone figures it is awesome for a baby to sleep such long stretches. But what works fine sleepwise for a formula fed baby or an older breastfed baby can sometimes cause issues with a younger breastfed baby. I figure it can't hurt to try it, esp. as you were getting up anyway to pump.

At six weeks, I was super leaky, dealing with oversupply and engorgement, and Joe was fussy and didn't even seem to enjoy eating half the time, and breastfeeding was pretty unrewarding. At that point, I just wanted breastfeeding NOT TO HURT, I had basically given up on it ever being enjoyable!

But it's amazing what a month or two can do. Really. It will blow your mind. When your baby gets better head control and can latch themselves on, it gets so much easier and more fun. Yeah, you still have moments of being "touched out" - welcome to motherhood! - but breastfeeding becomes so convenient and easy, you'll wonder how those formula feeding mothers do it!

P.S. I totally woke Joe up to feed in the early mornings to deal with engorgement. Yeah, you're not supposed to wake a sleeping baby, but dude, mama's boobs hurt! And nursing is easier and faster than pumping, blech (also, pumping can make oversupply way worse, BTDT). And he'd usually go right back to sleep.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 4th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Until my son was about 8 weeks old, feedings took an hour or so, but as he grew they got much faster; I'd say by the time he was 3-4 months old it was closer to 15-20 minutes total. Be patient and hang in there--it will get faster as baby grows.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I don't think that true at all Estervegan. I think at 6weeks babies go through growth spurts AND will be tethered to their mother all day. Marathon nursing sessions for all growth spurts AND COMPLETELY normal for babies that young to graze all day. I don't think this New mother needs to panic about milk transfer. I think she needs to get used to the idea that her newborn needs her AND access to her boobs at all times. That is a little overwhelming. But she will probably be able to breathe in the next few weeks here.

my second really nursed constantly for about 8-9 weeks.

i just settled into my rocking chair for that time and wore comfortable shirts that would allow him full access. early on i had sore nipples so i really worked on getting the latch just right, glad to hear the laid back nursimg is going well.

i kept the lansinoh tube in my bathrobe pocket or under my leg while i nursed to keep it warm, made it really easy to put A LOT on keeping it on, even though it got all over my tank tops, was worth it because it quickly helped the healing process.

just keep going with it, it will ease up soon and you will wonder where all those long cuddly nursing sessions went.

Enjoy this time. Snuggle. Relax. Sleep when baby is sleeping. You will never get it back. And it's OK. This is how it is supposed to be. So you can recover from birth and get to know your LO. It drove me nuts the first time because I didn't know that this is OK. And I regret that. And then I had to EP for the fourth, and I knew what I was missing and cried every day for the loss. Really, don't watch the clock. Just enjoy your baby. She will get faster. It won't be like this for long.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pennysmommy View Post
    I'm happy to hear that some people didn't find BF enjoyable at first either. Makes me feel better about that part.
    I hated breastfeeding for the first 8 weeks. I mean downright abhorred it. From 8-12 weeks I finally began to find it tolerable. After that I began to understand what everyone mean by the bonding that comes from nursing. Now I can't imagine life without it.

In the early weeks, I just made sure to have some good movies and books and lots of snacks on hand and camped out on the bed or the couch. I also could not have survived without my sling. I need to get outside periodically to keep sane; so I would tuck my baby into the sling and go for short walks.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Just wanted to say thanks to all the ladies who offered encouragement to the OP! I read through the entire thread and the advice given is very good. My baby is 6 weeks old also and it gets overwhelming at times, BFing is definately a lot of hard work! I do love BFing but it is just such a huge lifestyle change. My baby is just like yours, takes forever to eat and eats often. You are lucky for the huge chunks of sleep, though, I don't get that! My girl was also a bit jaundiced, sleepy for the first little while, and lost a lot of weight. So I think we have some things in common with our babies. Also have issues feeding in the sidelying position. Swaddling while feeding makes it easier to do that, so try it. I cant swaddle anymore though as the temperature is too hot here now.

My advice regarding clothes is to go around topless - honestly that is what I do for now and I find it easier than soaking through three tops a day. When I leak I usually just smash my wrists to my boobs and it stops them from dripping. Maybe a bit TMI but it works for me! What I miss the most about "normal" life is having time to cook and sit down to a proper 3 meals a day with my husband. When will those days return?

When she takes forever to feed, just sit up in bed and have lots of books, snacks, a laptop, etc. Just let yourself go for a few weeks and enjoy the rest and leisure time.

Meals....um.....never We eat as a family, but most of my time is not spent in coversation with DH. It goes like this:
    Please don't throw food
    Pick up your silverware
    Don't throw food
    Let's wipe up that cup that got spilled
    Don't feed the dog
    Don't feed the dog (when someone sees what someone else does and thinks it delightful)
    Stop throwing food
    Pick up your silverware
    Take your elbows off the table
    Eat your dinner
    Eat your food

I imagine with just one baby, I had some peaceful meals when baby could sit in the high chair for a few minutes. I usually give them some things to play with like a spoon, and we do baby led solids so I'm not spoon feeding, but now, with four, meal times are crazy. Sometimes we feed them first, kick them out to play and then we eat in relative peace while they tramp in and out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

yup, we had/have a sweet spot, with just 1, from about 5 months where all of a sudden i wasn't so tired, baby was big enough, and we could sit down at the table for a meal. it was amazing! still there now, and it might last a little while while DS explores food, but we have to eat fast becauase as long as there's food on the table he is DEMANDING it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Meals....um.....never We eat as a family, but most of my time is not spent in coversation with DH. It goes like this:
    Please don't throw food
    Pick up your silverware
    Don't throw food
    Let's wipe up that cup that got spilled
    Don't feed the dog
    Don't feed the dog (when someone sees what someone else does and thinks it delightful)
    Stop throwing food
    Pick up your silverware
    Take your elbows off the table
    Eat your dinner
    Eat your food
    My dinners are like this and I only have one!

I add to the general litany of "don't feed the dog" an additional thought: "You can't offer food to the dogs, which you're not supposed to do, and then be upset that they ATE it."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I also didn't know what People were talking about when they said oh isn't it nice to bond with your baby when BFing. I had and still have problems and my son is 11 weeks old: oversupply, vasospasms, milk blisters, engorgement and shallow latch. Despite that, there were a few times when I didn't nurse my son (vasospasms- pumped instead and once to meet friends). And I was shocked at how much I missed him. You dot realize until you don't nurse or he sleeps through the night how much you absorb him by being so close. I notice how he smells and now what he says and coos. And I feel like we know and love each other so much more because we are attached 8-10 times a day. I sometimes really dislike it and am tired of my constant leaking. Your nipples do feel better later on and your baby will reward you with smiles that make all of this exhausting work worthwhile.