Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Question :)

Question Pumping Question :)

I have a 5 week old daughter.. I'm mostly pumping (every 2-3 hours), but also feeding her from breast occasionally (2-3 times a day).. I'm worried I'm not producing enough for her.. I've tried supplementing with 2 different kinds of formula (1 time a day/3 oz), but both make her sick (projectile vomit).. Im taking Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle, 3 of each/3 times a day.. How can i be sure she is getting enough? She always acts hungry after feeding, usually drinks all of whats pumped, between 2-4oz..

Default Re: Pumping Question :)

why do you feel as though you are not producing enough milk? at 5 weeks of age babies like to nurse from 8 to 12 times a day.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I can remember as a first time mom being freaked out that my baby was hungry all the time, so I would feed her at every little cry whimper or squirm. However, if you really watch them you will begin to figure when if they are truly hungry or just are experimenting with the hands they just found or noises they can make with their mouth. The best indicator for if they are getting enough is diaper output and if their hands relax after a feeding. Then you know if they are getting enough. Sometimes it is hard to tell when you are breastfeeding how much is going in, but trust yourself
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Is there a specific reason why you are pumping more often than nursing? A nursing baby fed on demand will maintain your supply far better than any pump. And when you are nursing you can offer at every whimper, while that's not necessarily true for bottles.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Is there a specific reason why you are pumping more often than nursing? A nursing baby fed on demand will maintain your supply far better than any pump. And when you are nursing you can offer at every whimper, while that's not necessarily true for bottles.
    to all of this.

How quickly is she taking in those bottles? Some babies can guzzle down a bottle pretty fast and it takes some time for the tummy and brain to sync up and realize that baby is full. Keep in mind mama that babies like to nurse or suckle for reasons other than hunger, too. How do you feel about offering her the breast more often and pumping a few times a day instead?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Why are you pumping and not nursing? Ideally, a baby or a pump removes milk at least 10 times a day. EPing is way, way harder!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!