Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Couple of questions

Default Couple of questions

My 8 day old baby girl is doing amazing breast feeding! I am so happy now. But my questions are piling up and I don't know where to go with them. She is 8 days old eating 10-12 times a day. I want to start pumping to create milk stores but am I starting to soon? Should I pump before or after I feed her? I feel like I'm lost. I think lack of sleep is starting to get to me also. How do I find balance in this? She prefers to sleep on me and that's really interrupting my sleep. Also could hubby feed her once or twice a day so I can regulate some sleep for myself? I feel like I don't even have time to eat or go to the bathroom. Should I seek hands on advice? I'm going to mention I'm a first time mommy too. Very new! Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Couple of questions

Welcome and congratulations on new baby!

Lots of moms here will have experince with building up a freezer stash in anticipation of going back to work but I bet it will help to know when you plan to return to work, what will your scedule be, and what are your plans are for pumping/feeding baby when back at work.

Generally speaking, early bottles (and also early pumping) can cause issues but how bad/likely these issues are will depend on the situation, it's not really knowable how much. If you are aware of the many pitfalls, and breastfeeding is going very well, then bottles & pumping will likely tend to be less of an issue, although you never know how a baby will respond to the bottle, some babies develop a "bottle preference" pretty quickly.

I would also suggest there are other less risky ways to maximize sleep. This very intense time will not last forever, but while it does it is exhausting. This is normal. New parenthood in utterly exhausting in the early weeks no matter how baby is fed. If baby sleeps best on you (pretty normal) your husband giving a bottle will not really change that. What about instead, you nurse baby and then hand baby off to your husband to sleep on him? Have you looked into safe bed sharing to see if that is something you would feel comfortable doing? Are you taking naps?
    Also I suggest the book The Womanly Art of breastfeeding (8th edition 2010) it's also available on Kindle.

with all of the above.

All that I can add here is my personal experience. I went back to work (very part time) on week 3 of my son's existence, so I started pumping a little on week 2. I ended up with a really horrible oversupply and a letdown that sprayed halfway across the room. The engorgement was one of the most painful things I've experienced and my baby was biting down on my nipple to slow the flow of milk which caused significant damage. I was absolutely miserable for two months. Milk supply is very sensitive to external influences in those early weeks, so pumping can have a very nasty effect for some of us. If you can wait for a few more weeks to start pumping, I would strongly recommend it. If not, then proceed very cautiously. Pump only once a day at the same time every day to avoid sending yourself into an oversupply situation. Of course there are many other potential dangers associated with early pumping and bottle introduction, and lllmeg has given you some great information.

As far as sleep goes, I was not comfortable keeping my baby in bed with me when he was so very tiny (although it can be done very safely), so I kept his bassinet pushed up right next to my side of the bed so I could put my hand on him while he slept. I napped when he napped. When my husband would come home from work, I would nurse the baby, hand him off to my husband, then sleep until the next feeding. It is amazing what a difference just a few broken segments of sleep make!

Also, I coud not have survived my newborn without my sling. It allowed me to fix a quick snack, use the washroom, get out for a stroll around the block while still being able to nurse and otherwise comfort my baby. I graded stacks of exams while swaying back and forth with my 4 week old tucked in the sling.

8 days is so very young. Nursing will get easier. Life with a newborn will become less overwhelming. Your body somehow acclimates and you will become less tired. If you can hold off on pumping and bottles, then you run much less risk of encountering problems down the road. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

just wanted to add - having dad give a bottle won't really help you get uninterrupted sleep at this point, because you'll need to pump, both to keep signalling your body it needs to make milk, and to relieve engorgment.

in the early days, and really until 4 or 5 months, i was generally going to bed with the baby (we bed-share) for about 12 hours a night. that way even if my sleep was really broken, i felt rested.

we kept a monitor on and when i needed help, like a diaper change, i could call to my DH and he'd come get the baby and change him. that way i didn't have to get out of bed. and we kept a red light bulb on all night in the bedside lamp - i could sleep through it since it was red, but i needed light to see to latch and position, and for diaper changes, and the red doesn't dilate your pupils. we used that, also, till 4 or 5 months. highly recommended!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you ladies, I will hold off longer on pumping. We went to the dr. Today for a re-weigh and at 9days old my girl is 8lbs! She was 7.15 when she was born, so she's above her birth weight. The dr was very happy and said to keep up whatever we were doing. I'm going to use your advice and the doctors good notes as motivation. Last night was much better. Hubby is figuring out his role in all this with the bottles being absent. He sees me cry and exhausted and wanted to help, but you are right. Bottles and pumping just add in a whole new factor to contend with. We don't need a new challenge. I am going back to work July 11th. I am a hairdresser and I rent my space so I make up my own hours. I have it really easy, I just worry about longer days. But I'm sure I can pump a few days ahead to cover the few hours I will be gone. One last question though, what is block feeding?

It sounds like she is doing great! It gets easier, I promise. Just hang in there!

Block feeding is used to treat oversupply. If you are producing way too much milk you offer the same breast for a whole feeding (or more commonly a couple feedings or more). Milk sits in the unused breast, which signals your brain to tell your body to produce less milk.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

It is so hard for dads to see the new mom so tired and emotional (normal and normal) and not be sure how to help.

The ideas in these short tip sheets may help your husband: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf

Sounds like you have a good plan for back to work, you can basically start pumping for that stash whenever you like (I would hold off at least a couple of weeks as you have plenty of time) and take it slow, start with pumping once a day, for example.