Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: desperate for advice on what to do....

Default Re: desperate for advice on what to do....

woot! you SHOULD be proud. you're doing awesome.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Keep up the pumping! My breastmilk didn't come in until almost day 7. Then it was like Niagara Falls all the sudden It sounds like you are getting there! Congragulations!
    Proud of Baby

See if one of the hospital LCs will size you. Those are too small for most mamas. Keep pumping

And et them to rent you a Symphony. It will be much smoother on you and better for your supply. I can't believe they haven't done that yet to them
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had a c-section and my milk didn't come in until day 5.

Way too lazy for formula

Keep on pumping!! You are doing great!! Hopefully you will be able to do some skin to skin and maybe even try nursing soon. Congrats on the new little one

It is a lot of work with the pump but you can do it. I would agree to have your horns sized. I dont know anyone that actually uses the 24mm. I started with the 27mm's and had to move up to the 30mm's 6 moths later.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: help! ( i posted this under pumping also)

Wow how scary and traumatic for you. It is SO very hard to be separated from baby on top of everything else. Please try not to be overly concerned over what amount of milk you can pump at this point. For one thing, it's still very early. For another, some moms don't do great with producing for the pump- even the best pumps, which is why pump output is a poor indicator of supply. This often improves with time & practice but pumping is never quite like a baby nursing. For another, the stress and recovery from surgery may well slow the process down a bit.

Keep doing what you are doing but also do everything you can to get rest and take care of yourself. When you can hold your baby, it may be best for both of you to at first to not even stress out about feeding but to instead enjoy the closeness. Do what works best for you. I am going to attach a link about laid back breastfeeding below that you can check out if you like. Often just letting baby be snuggled on mom in a relaxed state brings on the instinctual rooting and latching behaviors in baby and laid back promotes that.

If your milk has clearly transitioned and you are not seeing an uptick in output, I suggest you have your pump, even the hospital pump, looked at and/or tested by the LC. Pumps are machines and they can malfunction just like any other machine. Also it is very important to be using the correct flange (breast sheild) size, and that can vary over time, some moms even need a different size for each breast. Also hospital LCs are often understaffed and over sceduled. If she cannot see you for long enough, request more time. Sometimes is up to mom to advocate for herslef and her baby.

Organic unavoidable low milk supply is very rare. Your body was made to make enough milk for your baby. Trust in your body. This difficult start is making the process harder but in no way does it mean you will end up with permanent low supply or be unable to breastfeed your baby! It's just far to early to tell about any of that. There are many ways to increase supply should that be an issue. Also low supply should that occur need not be a barrier to breastfeeding, breastfeeding need not be all or nothing. And babies have been brought to breast after weeks and even months of not being able to nurse. You are doing a heroic job under very difficult circumstances.

Laid back positioning: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/ BTW if baby is lying on your incision simply adjust the position of his body, baby can be in any position with Laid Back, and you can be reclined as much or as little as you like.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 4th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: help! ( i posted this under pumping also)

My heart goes out to you and I hope your son is healthy and ready to go home soon! Have you tried alternating an electric pump and a hand pump?? Like do one and then the other. It took 3 full days before my milk supply came in with my daughter. When you are able to breastfeed him it will also help your milk supply. You are doing an an amazing job already. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will get a better supply. Don't give up, when your milk comes in more it will get easier. Make sure you are eating and drinking very well. An extra 500 calories a day! Good luck!!

well, i pumped and got half an ounce combined from both breasts. it is coming in, i just got antsy. lol. thank you for the reassurance.

i sure wish someon int he hospital had known enough about nursing to actually tell you this up front, so you didn't have to panic. :::
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.