Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: returning to work and want to make sure i have enough milk

Default returning to work and want to make sure i have enough milk

Hi there, I will be returning to work this coming week and ihave been pumping and storing but I'm not sure if I have enough stored. I will only begoing back 3 days a week. How can I increase my supply to be sure I have enough?

Default Re: returning to work and want to make sure i have enough mi

You need 1-1.5 ounces of milk for each hour you are gone your first day. It's nice to have one or two extra 2-3 ounce bottles in case of a spill or growth spurt. You will need to pump as close to every 2-3 hour as possible while you are at work in order to keep up your supply. The milk you pump during your work day should be sufficient to leave for your baby the next day you work.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thankyou. I have been pumping for a little over a week now. I have probably 8 or 9 freezers bags from 2-4 ounces saved right now...think I should be good??

That should be plenty (assuming you'll be working a standard 8 hour day or something similar). You will probably want to leave 2-3 ounce bottles while you are gone. Breastfed babies tend to eat small amounts fairly frequently. My son did not take more than 3 ounces at a time until he was well over a year old.

Here are some tips on bottle feeding a breastfed baby that should help you avoid potential overfeeding (which unfortunately is very common).

Good luck heading back to work! It was tough for me at first, but I also only work 3 days a week and came to appreciate a little adult time!

Yes I am very much looking forward to adult time! I am not looking forward to not breastfeeding her those 3 days while I'm working. I feel like we have such a great bond...I song want that to go away...but she needs daddy time too!

Nothing in the world can take away the bond you have with your baby! My son has always immediately snuggled up to me and nursed as soon as I get home, and it is the best feeling in the world.

But yes, pumping is a drag and I do miss the snugly nursing time with my baby during work. But I think working 3 days is a nice compromise. You still get more time with your baby than away from your baby, and you can get out and do something for yourself too. I found that working only part time allowed me to feel like I was still in sync with my baby even though I was working.

For what it's worth, it has worked out very well for me. I hope things go as well for you.