Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Deep Freezer

Default Deep Freezer

I'm thinking of purchasing a deep freezer to store my frozen milk so my milk will last longer and to get space back in my side by side freezer. In order for the milk to last 12 months can the deep freezer be self defrosting? Or is th reason milk last longer in a deep freeze strictly due to the fact that the door isn't opened as often?

Default Re: Deep Freezer

I think it's because the consistent low temp/door thing
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mine is a deep freeze that self defrosts, and it's fine. A chest is probably better, but don't buy a freezer with milk in mind. Most moms don't need to store milk in huge quantities. Instead, think about future use. We have an upright beause it just works better for us.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ours is upright and I really like it because things never really get lots in there like they would in my parents' chest freezer. But I agree, if you want to buy an extra freezer do it for your own family's grocery stock-up needs, not for breastmilk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

So if the benefit that allows the milk to be stored longer is the fact that the door isn't opened as frequently, could we purchase a second refigerator? The freezer portion of the second unit wouldn't be opened nearly as much as the freezer in the kitchen.

I think the point is yes it will last longer if it's in a unit that isn't open as often or toward the back of the freezer (on the door it can get fairly warm with every opening) but since most babies don't need 1000s of milk stored for them, don't buy another freezer or fridge unless that is something you need for your family when you no longer need all that milk. If you have a ton of extra milk you could consider donating it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Deep freezes keep it colder too. Like I can set my deep freeze to be way colder than I could ever set the freezer in my fridge.

But yeah, I wouldn't bother. I had to EP, filled the freezer (I had a plan) and then backed my supply down. If I was a working met, there is zero reason to save that much. You just need a few days worth to get started, then you pump the next day's at work.

The downside of freezing milk...it is inferior to fresh. Freezing kills off part of it. It may alter nutritional composition. Fresh is best, even for an EPing mom. This is why I pump now even. Better than formula, but no reason to store thousands of ounces without a specific plan in mind. I did that with my first, because nobody ever told me, and I threw out like 1000 oz when he was 15 months old.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!