Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost 9 Months - Still Night Nursing... Sighs/Help?

Default Almost 9 Months - Still Night Nursing... Sighs/Help?

My LO is going to be nine months next week and she still gets up for at least one night nursing. During bad teething episodes it can be two times. I do not co-sleep so I have to get out of bed each time while she nurses. She eats one full side and then a little on the second. From months 2-8.5 she had only me going to her at night because my husband is in the military and was in Afghanistan at the time. Last night I had my husband go in to her when she woke up (only after 6 hrs of sleep) and she started WAILING like she just got a shot. She's really good with him during the day too. I don't know if I'm being unrealistic about expecting her to sleep through the whole night (she did do it 3 times over the past month). The lack of sleep (and lack of help for the last 6 months) is really starting to weigh on me and is making me resentful of having to nurse. It would really be great if she didn't want to nurse at night anymore. I think my spirit would be rejuvenated. Any ideas?

Default Re: Almost 9 Months - Still Night Nursing... Sighs/Help?

You are lucky that she is only waking once, maybe twice, at night. My baby was still waking every 2 hours at that age, which is normal. He is still waking at least twice a night at 18 months. Night weaning is not recommended until after a year. Just because your baby has slept through the night does not mean that she can sleep through the night every single night.

Babies are very distractible at 9 months, and most truly need to eat at night because they are busy and just can't get enough milk in during the day. Also teething is painful and nursing provides very effective pain relief. You would probably be up much longer trying to get her to sleep without nursing. Separation anxiety can set in around 9 months too, and that may be why she wants you and only you. Being there for her will help get her through the separation anxiety far better than dismissing her will.

I cosleep part time. I start my baby in his crib, then bring him to bed with us after he first wakes up. From 6-8 months I could not bed share because of an injury, so I put his crib right next to the bed. That way he still had his own sleep space, but I did not need to get out of bed to nurse him. He was waking every 1-2 hours at the time, and it wasn't so horrible with the crib next to the bed. Also make sure to nap when your baby naps. It can make a huge difference!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I will say that i think the main issue is adjusting expectations of normal infant behavior. Your baby actually sounds like a normal baby with normal or slightly better sleep patterns. My 16 month old wakes 5x a night, hes hungry and needs to be parented at night. You may need to realize that your baby is small and requires 24 hour patentling AND may still be hungry at night. Night weaning at this age is something i dont recomend, but you can try Dr Jay Gordons night weaning method. (google it if you want).as for resentling nursing, your abitity to feed and comfort your child w/in seconds is a gift...truely, if you wean you will not get more sleep, youll just be up comforting another way and making bottles
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Like PP said, it is normal to still be waking and still need night feeding at this age. I understand being tired though and that false hope that comes when baby has a night or two of sleeping longer than usual!

If your baby needs other things during the night--diaper change, rocking after feeding--those are perfect things for dad to do so that you're not up the whole time. That's how we work it at our house.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

Also when medical professionals say sleep through the night, they mean 5 consecutive hours, not 11 or 12, so even on the "bad" nights your daughter does this.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you for the fresh perspectives. All my friends even the breastfeeding ones made it sound like I was doing something wrong still allowing her to nurse at night. I guess I just need to expect it. I want to give her the best which is why I've breastfed so far, it's just finally starting to wear me out. You ladies are helping me find the strength to keep pushing so thank you.

Yeah, waking only once a night to nurse at this age is AWESOME, better than average! Joe woke every 45 minutes an hour (I kid you not ) through most of those bad teething months. I coped by going to bed early and cosleeping. If you're tired with only one night waking, I'd suggest just going to bed a little earlier until things get easier. Take the baby back to bed with you and nurse lying down so that you're not getting too awake for that one nursing session (being upright gets the blood flowing and it's harder to go back to sleep). Sometimes you have to take care of yourself, rather than try to change the child (which is usually more exhausting anyway! ).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I would have committed crimes for a baby who woke only 1-2x per night at 9 months old. Seriously, I'm talking felonies.

Whatever you're doing, it's not wrong! I know the level of night-waking you're experiencing has got you tired out, and it feels like breastfeeding is part of that exhaustion, but it's worth remembering that even if you weaned your baby tomorrow there's every likelihood that she'd still be up a couple of times a night. I have seen my formula-feeding friend with bags under her eyes in the morning when her kid was teething or had an ear infection, because he was up 5 times needing a bottle or comfort or whatever.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

to everyone else's posts. My DS is 10 months and we're just now getting back to 2 wakeups, which I haven't seen since 4 months, once teeth started emerging. I do the same as another poster- he goes to bed in his crib (in our room), so DH and I can spend time together, or I can go to bed early when needed and have my whole bed, then when he wakes for the first time comes into bed with us. Most nights I have to ask DH how many times he woke up because I just hook him on and doze while he nurses, so I don't even remember! It really makes a huge difference on how refreshed you feel the next day.
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tashamu2004 View Post
    Thank you for the fresh perspectives. All my friends even the breastfeeding ones made it sound like I was doing something wrong still allowing her to nurse at night. I guess I just need to expect it. I want to give her the best which is why I've breastfed so far, it's just finally starting to wear me out. You ladies are helping me find the strength to keep pushing so thank you.
    I have friends like that. Every last one of my breastfeeding friends whose main goal was to cut down on night feedings as soon as possible and trying to get their LO's STTN as soon as possible weaned involuntarily early due to supply issues. Night nursing, as well as being normal for babies your age and beyond, can help keep mama's milk supply in good shape.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com