Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: travel with (distractable) baby...

Default travel with (distractable) baby...

Any tips on international travel with a nursing baby? In a few weeks we'll be traveling within the States then the following week we will travel to Spain with DD (she's 8 weeks now, will be 11 weeks when we travel). Any tips for the plane?

Seems easy enough to just nurse but DD is going through a phase where she will mostly only nurse when sleepy or asleep. Any tips on that would also be greatly appreciated as it is making it tricky to go out and about and nurse in public. Sometimes I know she is hungry but she will.not.nurse unless she is so relaxed that she is either asleep or almost asleep. She'll kick and flail around otherwise. Hopefully this is just a distractable phase?!?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: travel with (distractable) baby...

i flew with DS at 10 weeks and it was fabulous. we had both mostly figured things out, and he was calm and in wonder at the new htings he was seeing, unless he was asleept.

get a carrier - i didn't have to take DS out last time through security, they just swabbed my hands and patted down the outside of hte carrier - and nurse as much as you can on the plane. DS slept through one entire landing, layover wiht lunch, boarding and takeoff!! oh and get a window seat so you can stand and bounce when you need to, and wear bottoms you can pee in without disturbing the carrier/baby.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I was just going to pst this very question. Can you nurse while landing to protect their ears? Hoping the motion keeps pain away.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post

get a carrier - i didn't have to take DS out last time through security, they just swabbed my hands and patted down the outside of hte carrier - and nurse as much as you can on the plane. DS slept through one entire landing, layover wiht lunch, boarding and takeoff!! oh and get a window seat so you can stand and bounce when you need to, and wear bottoms you can pee in without disturbing the carrier/baby.
    What kind of carrier did you use? We're planning on using our wrap -- hope it's not too scarf like for security to run us through.

i used a mei tai, but honestly i don't think security understands all the different carriers. once baby is in it, they all look the same to them! i'd advise to be prepared to have to take baby out, and hope you don't. my first trip - at 10 weeks - i had to take DS out for them, and then i had to enlist some random stranger to hold him for a second while i re-tied the bottom tie on the mei tai. my second trip, when he was 9 months, they didn't make me take him out. you might give just a second's thought to how you'll handle it if you do have to unwrap - if you take baby out they'll make you put the wrap/carrier through xray (ie take it all the way off).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I just flew with baby and I didn't have to take him out of the ergo to go through security, just had to get my hands swabbed. Hopefully you wouldn't have to take off a wrap--if they did try to make you I would politely say that you thought it was now allowed and could you please keep baby in carrier and get the hand swab and individual check.

Re: the distractibility, the plane noise and vibration are very soothing and will probably get her relaxed and sleepy for a lot of the trip. I read somewhere to get seats near/over the wing for maximum baby relaxation.

Will she abide a cover? I used a light linen blanket as a nursing cover to block out some of the light and noise from all the flight announcements. Once you're in the air it will get chilly too so it was nice to already have baby covered up.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    Can you nurse while landing to protect their ears? Hoping the motion keeps pain away.
    Yes.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

Thanks, all! I have a Boba carrier and I absolutely love it. ALthough it's not the most comfortable to sit in, it will do. I might have a wrap as a back-up for using on the plane itself??

Now, I'm off to post another thread about my overwhelming guilt/anxiety about leaving DS (age 2) with the grandparents while his parents and baby sister abandon him and leave for Spain for a week (we are going for a family wedding and can't afford another ticket for DS and it would be too difficult to travel internationally with a toddler anyways...)...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135