Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for creative ideas for a struggling baby...8 weeks

Default Looking for creative ideas for a struggling baby...8 weeks

I am looking for any creative ideas that you think may help out me and my baby. Here is our situation: After a long home birth, baby needed some oxygen and did not have the opportunity to breastfeed until about 1 hour after birth. Latch was not great, so baby became frustrated and hungry. By day 2, baby had jaundice and my LC advised me to give formula to satisfy his hunger and also get rid of the jaundice. I began pumping, and baby only had formula for 2 days, but was already accustomed to the bottle. Since, it has been a long struggle to get him back to the breast. First, he wouldn't even try to suckle. After a couple weeks, he would eat for a total of 5 mins from the breast shield. (After each session, I would give him pumped BM from a bottle). He is now off the shield, but still will only BF when he is not fussy or overly hungry. I still don't think he has a good latch, because he gets fussy after a couple minutes at each breast. I also think he has issues pulling the nipple in far enough to suck correctly.

Look for any ideas or support! Thank you!!

Default Re: Looking for creative ideas for a struggling baby...8 wee

I am not a huge expert but I had a similar experience. My son was in formula for the first two days of his life and while he was interested in the breast at the hospital, he was not when we got home. My LC used a syringe of formula (I wasn't producing much at the time at first) and squirtee it on my breast to entice him. Later on I used a spoon of my own milk to give him a taste before latching. It took a few days but he nvwe went back to formula and is totally devoted to the breast. I hope that helps a little bit.

Gunnersmom.. your breastfeeding issues sound as though an at the breast supplemental feeder might be recommended. Your baby is already 8 weeks old and has been thriving on your breastmilk, he knows how to nurse he just prefers not to have to work so hard for his feedings.
    are you pumping to maintain your supply?
    are you producing 2 ounces per pumping session? Or more?
    are you offering the breast every two hours?
    Some mothers give the pumped breast-milk first and then offer the breast for comfort suckling and for finishing a feeding... but they don't put more than 2 ounces in the bottle.
    this way the baby's hunger is tampered down but the baby still wants to suckle, so transitioning to the breast is facilitated.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

No expert by any means, just wanted to say I'm jealous We've been using a shield from Hour 1 thanks to the well-meaning-but-no-expert nurse and I'm attempting to wean DS off it, which is proving to be quite a task. So, congrats to you Hope you get some great help here, I know a lot of these ladies are fabulous!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Yes, when I pump, I pump about 3 oz from each breast every 2-3 hours, sometimes up to 5 oz each breast. I don't offer the breast enough and have never tried to offer it AFTER a bottle feeding. I will try that. And yes, I offer it for suckling, say when he's falling asleep or just waking up. I will try that last approach.
    Any suggestions on the suck? I don't know if he is truly have an issue with it or just isn't used to sucking as hard. I do have slow flow bottles.

Rachel- first, our babies were born the same day (naturally). What have you tried to get him off?

Not sure if this is applicable but I've read about something called rebirthing??? Basically you take a warm bath with the baby supported in the water and then when your ready you pull the baby up on your tummy and try to nurse reclined in the tub. Stay there as long as you like and keep warm water over the baby or towel. It is suppose to trigger the natural nursing 'stuff' at birth. I did this with mine and although I wouldn't say it was a miracle cure like some described on the internet, it was really soothing and something was different. You can have someone with you or not. My DH helped us get in and settled, turned the overhead light off (we had ambient light) and then came in when I called for him to get DS so I could get out safely. I stayed till DS fell asleep. I don't know if he nursed or not, maybe not a lot but it wasn't about the nursing it was about the bonding. This was all around the time we got of the nipple shield and things started to improve overall. Coincidence maybe but it can't hurt.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Thanks, he loves the shower but haven't taken a bath with him. I will try this!

Bath is great idea also nursing when baby is just waking, very drowsy or asleep. It is very typical for a baby to have a difficulty latching when upset or fussy, and usually the best cure is to (as much as possible) nurse at the very earliest cues or not even wait for a cue, simply offer as much as you like. Also have you tried instant reward techniques? Many described in this article as well as rebirthing and other ideas: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

for keeping baby interested longer-breast compressions may help (if the issue is a 'too slow" flow-) http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Have you tried different positions, laid back, sidelying etc? http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/ (watch the video)

cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

Thanks. Where can I get a SNS?