Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding and sleeping

Default Feeding and sleeping

Hi all, my son has been sleeping longer stretches at night and usually is in bed by 8 or 9, meanin the last time I feed him is around 7:30.

About how many times is he still supposed to be eating? 8-10? If he takes a longer nap in the afternoon I worry that he isn't eating enough. He is 11 weeks, 18 pounds and I have a bit of oversupply. Will my supply decrease?

When do they start feeding less? He does have good output and obviously is gaining weight. Thanks.

Default Re: Feeding and sleeping

Wow. 18 pounds at 11 weeks! Let him sleep at night if he wants to. Don't worry about counting number of nursing sessions - watch diapers and weight.

Even if your supply decreases, it won't decrease to anything less than he needs.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Most babies will sleep more at night, then go back to waking more, then sleeping more and back again. At almost 3 months if he is not waking at least once in an 8 hour stretch, you will probably want to pump to relieve fullness and protect your milk supply. Babies around your son's age get most of their calories at night. I also agree with PP about not watching the clock, if his weight and diaper out put is good, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    As far as your question about times he should be eating, it should be around every 3-4 hrs average. By longer nap in the afternoon, do you mean 2 hrs? 3 hrs?? If you an oversupply, your body will adjust to the demand. Babies don't usually start feeding less, they start becoming more efficient, meaning they don't take as long to eat when they do feed.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

i would wake a sleeping baby to relieve breast fullness. I would avoid pumping/expressing b/c it can exasperate over supply.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

If you over pump you can make the over supply worse, but pumping or feeding enough to take the pain away will help and will aid in her body adjusting to demand.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

After 6 weeks, feeding frequency may decrease to 8 per 24 hour period. A very, very few babies will nurse less frequently than that and still be okay. Most will nurse more, and feeding frequency will increase during growth spurts or when baby needs an increase in milk volume. I personally think it makes sense to continue to keep an 8 feeds per day minimum until baby is well started on solids or over a year, whichever comes first.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"