Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing to latch

Default Refusing to latch

Hi! I'm new here
    My DS is 4 weeks old and we've been nursing up until a few days ago. All of a sudden, he refuses to nurse.....when it's time to eat, he screams when I put him to my breast....he screams, cries and pushes away I'm not sure what's going on with him. I haven't changed anything.....I've tried different positions (side lying, football etc)....and he still freaks out on me. We have introduced a bottle, which he will happily take from me. I don't want to physically stop nursing (I've been pumping).....I just don't know what else to do.
    This is my 3rd baby....I never had issues with latching with my other 2....
    Thanks!
    Becky

Default Re: Refusing to latch

Hi Becky and welcome to the forum! Is it possible you have an overactive letdown? Check out this site and see if it sounds like you. My daughter went on a bit of strike when she became afraid of the breast because it was too forceful for her. I hope this helps.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I know it's horrid for you but how comforting to know I'm not the only one...it's now 10am here in the UK and I've been in tears in the night and again this morning trying to get my baby fed. My 9 day old is an angel between feeds, doesn't fuss, just chills out, then come feeding time he turns his head away so strongly that you'd think there was poison coming from my nipple and then he munches on his hand and lets out screams like he's in pain. It takes about 30 mins and a nappy change to get him in the right 'place' for him to finally latch on and take his feed. Don't quite know what to do really...my midwife is due this morning so I'll ask her again for advice. Trouble is, he lost too much weight after birth (more than 10%) so of course now I'm paranoid that he must get his feeds in. Nightmare!

Hang on in there!

I pump the breast to ease the main "gushing flood" then place little darling to breast to feed. Less fear, less coughing, less gasping = peace for everyone.