Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gripe water or gas drops

Default Gripe water or gas drops

Have any of you tried Gripe water? I've been looking into gripe water or gas drops (I've tried little tummys gas drops doesn't seem to do much) but there are so many brands of gripe water out there! What has worked for you?

Default Re: Gripe water or gas drops

Just my two cents here, I think neither. breastfed babies don't need anything other than their mother's milk until they are old enough to eat solid food.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

We found that Mylicon (or its generic) worked well, but I can't remember how old my son was when we started using it.

I have an oversupply of milk (that I'm trying to get under control) and poor baby girl is so gassy and fussy and I feel bad that she is in pain!

I responded with some ideas in your other thread, but I'll recap here:

- bicycle your baby's legs throughout the day to work out gas a little at a time (it helps a lot)
    - give periodic tummy and back massages to work out gas and ease the pain
    - warm baths in the evenings - gas is often worst in late afternoon/evening and a warm bath relaxes muscles to help release gas and ease pain
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I've tried both and saw no difference from using the drops. I returned them. I would bicycle my little guy's legs to help. He seems to enjoy that more than massages.

We've tried simethicone drops. I don't think they work either. The bicycling works...or bring both knees to his chest (butt off the ground) when he's on his back. That usually results in some action down below!

It's definitely frustrating at times bc I know he's uncomfortable. I hope he grows out of it soon.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chunji View Post
    I would bicycle my little guy's legs to help. He seems to enjoy that more than massages.
    Mine didn't particularly enjoy tummy massages, but I found that massaging his tummy first, then bicycling his legs (bringing his knees to his chest as brogers mentions was part of the bicycling routine for us and definitely helps! ) was more effective at working out the gas than just bicycling legs alone.

I think it's one of those things you just need to fiddle around with to see what works best for you. And you may need to switch things up from time to time as your baby grows.

Also, you can't necessarily blame the oversupply for the gas. My baby continued to be gassy long after I got my oversupply under control.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I use mommy's bliss gripe water. Its all natural. Walmart sells it. Safe for Babies 1 week. I also do the bicycles and that helps too. Good luck, grassy babies arent fun

I've used Wellement's gripe water for my baby and saw results immediately! It's also USDA certified organic which is huge for me because I'm all about safe ingredients for my child as a new mom. Hope this helps!